Logging truck load delivered yesterday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wardk

Feeling the Heat
Jul 19, 2012
B.C. Canada
Nice full load of Birch scaled at about 90,000 lbs. I think it should be 3yrs worth. Now to start CSS I won't need that gym membership I was contemplating.

Attachments

• P1010335.jpg
    P1010335.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 1,150
  • P1010333.jpg
    P1010333.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 1,131
Nice pics
Do you have Paper birch or Yellow or all mixed?
They all look like a perfect size for cutting.
Send us more pics as you go and how come you aint got no snow up there?

Nice pics
Do you have Paper birch or Yellow or all mixed?
They all look like a perfect size for cutting.
Send us more pics as you go and how come you aint got no snow up there?
We just call it Birch , it's the only hardwood that grows naturally in this part of the world. When it's seasoned properly it will be dense and heavy, burns nice and hot. Had about 2ft of snow on the ground about a week ago but got a weather system called the pineapple express above freezing for the last week, yesterday it was 13c or about 62f.

That's a big load.
I saw on web that unseasoned white birch is 4800 lb/cord, so that's like 19 cords worth? Does that jibe with what you're thinking?
http://multitekinc.com/app/newsletter/view_article/50,1,4,,4.html
I calculated it differently, as the wood was felled in its dormant state I think the moisture would be reduced some what , so 90,000 lbs I think should season down to 60,000lbs that would give me 800 boiler fills at 75lbs per. It may be wishful thinking but it helps me justify the $1800 price.

I calculated it differently, as the wood was felled in its dormant state I think the moisture would be reduced some what , so 90,000 lbs I think should season down to 60,000lbs that would give me 800 boiler fills at 75lbs per. It may be wishful thinking but it helps me justify the $1800 price.
You're a lot more pessimistic than that chart I linked to. For seasoned/green, the chart is 4600/4800, or 96%, where your assuming 60000/90000, or 67%.
On the other hand, that Garn seems pretty efficient!

You're a lot more pessimistic than that chart I linked to. For seasoned/green, the chart is 4600/4800, or 96%, where your assuming 60000/90000, or 67%.
On the other hand, that Garn seems pretty efficient!
That would be even better,another nice thing is the wood was forwared to the landing in snow so it's clean, easy on the saw.

That's a lot of wood!!! And no limbs to deal with, im just going to set here and drool for a little bit LOL. :)

Reactions: Chris Hoskin
Had about 2ft of snow on the ground about a week ago but got a weather system called the pineapple express above freezing for the last week, yesterday it was 13c or about 62f
Its a bit cooler where I am but not by much. Snow on the ground is melting fast! Make sure you show us more pics as you process that monster load! Im jealous! I have a bit of birch but not much as its a bit sparse here.

Looks great. My logs came in this fall partly dragged through mud. I am not sure how much later i can get away with placing my order, but having them mud free sure is nice and easy on saw chains too.

I agree with velvetfoot, looking at the pile - you got some nice long ones - about 20 cords split and stacked.

You get some moose on the other side of the road in the autumn? Really pretty countryside behind the woodpile.

We just call it Birch , it's the only hardwood that grows naturally in this part of the world. When it's seasoned properly it will be dense and heavy, burns nice and hot. Had about 2ft of snow on the ground about a week ago but got a weather system called the pineapple express above freezing for the last week, yesterday it was 13c or about 62f.

We get a weather system like that here in Saskatchewan, it's called middle of May.;lol (no hint of jealousy towards B.C. weather at all) Looks like a nice load of wood there, should keep you busy.

Get your saw sharp and get to work!!!

Get your saw sharp and get to work!!!
Ready to go new chains on the saws, gas ,oil and files,help is nice 2 bucking 2on the spitter and 2 stacking,Okay quit dreaming , buck some split some stack some should only take a couple months.

Reactions: bobdog2o02
My 8 cord triaxle last year took me 1 month @ 3days a week with just me and up to 3 helpers, mostly just me though.

My 8 cord triaxle last year took me 1 month @ 3days a week with just me and up to 3 helpers, mostly just me though.
How many hours a day? I drive truck every afternoon 4-5hrs.

It looks like a mixture of white and yellow birch to me.

I'm so jealous of the cool weather combined with the lack of snow on the ground. Perfect for wood processing. I can't even see the shape of my wood piles any more...

IMG_0526.JPG

Reactions: Knots
Reactions: Chris Hoskin
Yup

You must be close to the West coast?

Jealous, I am! I'm in BC too - SE corner. Birch exists here, but is sparse. I've contemplated buying a truck load myself, but I don't have a big enough space to put it. Have fun with your saw!

Status
Not open for further replies.