logs falling against door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rbiebr

Dec 17, 2022
Pennsylvania
Newbie here. After many years of using masonry fireplace, I finally invested in an insert. (Pacific Energy NEO 1.6). Having recently started using it I am very happy with the results. One issue of concern is that on a full load a log will fall against the door, making it difficult to open the door safely. I load the logs E/W. I'm unable to load N/S as I already have a good supply of 16Inch logs and prefer not to cut them small for N/S loading. Is there any accessory that can be added to the stove to prevent this from happening.

Probably will be many more questions as I learn the ins and outs of wood stove operation.

Reactions: PAbeech
If you have room a welding shop might be able to make you a rack with 2 frt uprights.

I've been loading E/W for a while now and rarely have splits hit the glass. If one does occasionally it's not a big deal, just let it burn down. The trick is to build the load so that it falls back into the stove. Make sure the piece on the coals is angled back in, don't use round pieces in the front. A good triangle split is best. That piece will turn to coals fast and if it's level it's 50/50 which way it'll go.

I used to run a few E/W loading stoves, the Jotul Firelights you see in my signature line. Never a big deal when a log would roll up against the glass, it does no harm, other than leaving a black smudge on the glass to be burned off by the next load.

Short of some disaster happening mid-burn, you should never open your front door once loaded and running. If you're used to managing heat output with a fireplace, loading a few splits at a time to manage burn rate and output, you need to change your thinking to "stove mode". Load her full, get the secondaries going, then turn down for a long cruise. Don't open the door until you're down to coals, and ready for the next load. Size your loads to target your desired schedule, on these terms.