Long Burn Time Tiny Stove for a Small House. Is it possible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes, the thermostat! As I'm sure you know, wood burns like a bell curve and the thermostat keeps the burn level so you get a longer drawn out burn instead of peaks and valleys.
Just imagine a coal stove with a thermostat! Metered fuel, control over the burn rate. It would probably be amazing! ;)

Reactions: JKanor
I'm actually surprised @BKVP hasnt seen this thread yet and jumped in. He is very active in the yearly blaze king thread. He's been very honest and helps anyone with any BK questions he can whether it be on here, on the phone or ive even heard of a few cases in person.
I'm here....just swamped.

Well ain't that a coincidence lol.. Chris actually called me before he joined the thread, but after I sent their company an e-mail. I never even heard of Blaze King till yesterday but after talking with Chris on the phone I am majorly impressed.

While he's here i'll tell a little story lol.. A few years ago I became fascinated with the idea of figuring out how much energy you could fit into a cord of wood. So I had to figure out what the energy densities of different woods are, what the best way to stack them is.. Etc etc.. I spent weeks digging and compiling data from a 1935 Department of Agriculture document called "Strength and Related properties of woods Grown in the United States" and another document called USDA AH-188 "Chapter 1 Properties of Wood Related to Drying". Then I spent even longer figuring out the average price of all those woods.. Needless to say.. You want to know the most bang for the buck wood to buy per cord?.... Whatever is the heaviest and driest wood you can get in your area for the cheapest price.. lol...

Whats that story have to do with buying a stove? Well, listening to Chris talk about his stoves for half and hour in GREAT DETAIL, gave me the impression that he cares even more about his stoves than I did about a cord of wood.

I'm pretty sure he sold me on buying a Chinook. Because I bet if you broke a screw off installing the stove he would know what size it was, what the thread pitch is, and what it's made from and why lol.

Last edited:
Sales questions should be kept offline. No stove manufacturer is permitted to promote their products in the forum threads. The email response was direct, diplomatic and professional.

My apologies,, Didn't mean for him to make a sales pitch, just figured with questions on clearances, different models and efficiencies of them that we'd eventually hear from the source with all the BK talk in the thread.

Reactions: webby3650
I'm pretty sure he sold me on buying a Chinook. Because I bet if you broke a screw off installing the stove he would know what size it was, what the thread pitch is, and what it's made from and why lol.
You can bet your ass he knows! He will most likely send it to you for free too! He’s a real stand up guy, I’m proud to call him my friend.

Reactions: Sailrmike
You can bet your ass he knows! He will most likely send it to you for free too! He’s a real stand up guy, I’m proud to call him my friend.

Nothing at all against Woodstock stoves either. He talked very highly of them! If anyone is reading this thread for their benefit the Woodstock and the BK are really the takeaway from this. They are both top notch.

Nothing at all against Woodstock stoves either. He talked very highly of them! If anyone is reading this thread for their benefit the Woodstock and the BK are really the takeaway from this. They are both top notch.
As are many other stoves. But in this situation with the low btu load I agree bk is probably a great fit. And I love the look of the Chinook

I’ve also had a fire view. It was one of my favorite stoves! My only complaint is the cat was back ordered for months and months... ended up buying it from another source. We’ve never had an issue getting BK parts.

I’ve also had a fire view. It was one of my favorite stoves! My only complaint is the cat was back ordered for months and months... ended up buying it from another source. We’ve never had an issue getting BK parts.

I have to buy weird stuff at work on a regular basis. Sometimes things just get back ordered for a million reasons. If the company is good with 99% of its usual business it's probably something out of their control. But if a business has a lot of complaints, yeah, it's probably their fault. I imagine Woodstock falls into the former category.

I have to agree Chris and BK are top notch. They sent me a new cat temp gauge when they found out I got a normal one even tho I am running the convetion deck, with out me asking. I just wanted to know what to order and they sent it. And not to pile on. I can say I use the a 2.0 bk. I ussually only load 3 or 4 splits per load and that heats most the house for 6 - 8 hours. I loaded it full once and it burned/kept the house warm for like 12-14 hours. We dont use it for the main heat. It is the main heat for the basement family room and I have some fans to move heat to the main floor.

Reactions: webby3650
Just imagine a coal stove with a thermostat! Metered fuel, control over the burn rate. It would probably be amazing! ;)

My dad had a tall "Warm Morning" coal stove that has a type of thermostat on it. I grew up with it. Had a lever on the right side with 7 or 8 notches in its track. Each notch was a step up or down in output and had a bimetal spring behind it with a chain to a damper. The thing held alot of coal and would heat 3K sq ft for 24-48hrs on a load depending on the outside temp.

My dad had a tall "Warm Morning" coal stove that has a type of thermostat on it. I grew up with it. Had a lever on the right side with 7 or 8 notches in its track. Each notch was a step up or down in output and had a bimetal spring behind it with a chain to a damper. The thing held alot of coal and would heat 3K sq ft for 24-48hrs on a load depending on the outside temp.
Yeah there are lots of thermostatic controlled coal stoves out there

We've had a Keystone for about 7 years now, heating our 1,000 sq ft house. I would say it's a pipe dream to expect 12 hr burn time, but then we only have pine and spruce here, so it is quite possible a longer burn time is realistic with oak/maple/whatever hard wood. I've never had an opportunity to test this.

With some shielding, you can get the stove fairly close to walls. And, you have an option to have the stove pipe attach to the stove either in the rear or on top. We have ours on top, and that saves a fair amount of out-from-wall distance.

Another consideration is Woodstock's customer service, which is stellar.

We've had a Keystone for about 7 years now, heating our 1,000 sq ft house. I would say it's a pipe dream to expect 12 hr burn time, but then we only have pine and spruce here, so it is quite possible a longer burn time is realistic with oak/maple/whatever hard wood. I've never had an opportunity to test this.

With some shielding, you can get the stove fairly close to walls. And, you have an option to have the stove pipe attach to the stove either in the rear or on top. We have ours on top, and that saves a fair amount of out-from-wall distance.

Another consideration is Woodstock's customer service, which is stellar.

Around here it would be mainly oak, it's pretty easy to get. Oak is about 30% denser than spruce and at least that for various pines. Maple not as much but still pretty good. I don't remember how the recoverable heat is comparable to the relationship to the density but it's pretty close. But if you're not getting 12hrs then that means for me to get 12hr burn times I would have to always have the denser woods just to get it. Possible? Yes.. Convenient? Not always.

How well does your house hold heat and/or how hot are you burning the stove normally?