Long running lumber scam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodyIsGoody

Minister of Fire
Jan 16, 2017
Pacific NW Washington
Both of the towns listed are basically burbs of Chicago land. It doesn't suprise me at all....;hm

Reactions: Jeffm1
You just can't fix stupid
I wonder if they like to buy a bridge in NYC?

Reactions: Jeffm1
If you don't understand nominal sizing, then you don't belong in a DIY store. Most building materials are nominally sized, cement blocks, dimensional lumber, pipe, and just tile to name a few. This kind of ignorance and sense of entitlement can only exist in Chicago land. I'd be too embarrassed to tell anyone, let alone be brazen enough to try and make a lawsuit over it.

I learned about nominal dimensions much later in life. And it thrills me to no end when remodeling this old place to run into actual 2x4s.

When the 2x4x8s turn into 2x4x7.8 THEN we call the lawyers!;lol

I actually read about this, our local Lowes now has the "real dimensions" on the label as well. Good grief.

I learned about nominal dimensions much later in life. And it thrills me to no end when remodeling this old place to run into actual 2x4s.

When the 2x4x8s turn into 2x4x7.8 THEN we call the lawyers!;lol
i often run into actual 2x4 in my house.. sometimes they are 2.24 x 8.1282

i can guarantee that none of them are the same length...

Reactions: Soundchasm
I'd like to see the look on the peoples faces that are suing, if they were actually provided a 2" x 4" board, when remodeling. Better establish a good relationship with their table saw, cause they'll be spending a good bit of time with it.

Reactions: UAmember
I'd like to see the look on the peoples faces that are suing, if they were actually provided a 2" x 4" board, when remodeling. Better establish a good relationship with their table saw, cause they'll be spending a good bit of time with it.

If they don't understand how dimensional lumber and nominal sizes work I would doubt they own a table saw, let alone know how to safely operate it.

Law suite aside. I never did understand why they list the size of lumber with inaccurate numbers.

Wood being sold green and rough cut was common way back in the day and the 2x4 became popular. It was closer to 2x4 before before drying and machining down to the standard we see today.