Long time lurker- up or down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FDRchats

Oct 22, 2021
East Tennessee
Hello guys, I’m ready to pull the trigger most likely a new Buck 74 insert. I have a 2900sf basement rancher. Roughly equal sf up and down. The fireplaces are in the middle of the house, and the stairs run parallel right behind the chimney. The 3 kids bedrooms are all downstairs. The kitchen, main living space and our bedroom are upstairs. The house is pretty well insulated, the floors in between are not insulated. I am really struggling with where to put the insert. I’ve wanted one for so long and worried I’ll screw up, and put it on the wrong floor. Will putting it downstairs heat or partially heat the upstairs? I see some post that say that it will not, that the heat will not move to floor above. Other post, say a fire downstairs keeps the upstairs toasty. This is a substantial investment for me and I just want to get it right. Thank you all for your insight and all I have already learned from this site.

If the basement walls are insulated and the floor somewhat so, then it should work with the insert in the basement. Does the basement have easy outside access for bringing in the wood? Do you already have a substantial stash of fully seasoned wood?

Reactions: FDRchats
If you only have single zone heat I’d say downstairs. We put out stove upstairs and with single zone heat thermostat upstairs the basement can get cold.

But I also think you should put where you will be spending the most time.

Just my two cents

Reactions: FDRchats