Longleaf pine Vs. oak.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Would you rather burn Longleaf pine or red oak?

• Longleaf pine

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Red oak

Votes: 11 84.6%

• Total voters

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
I decided to start the season burning my stack of longleaf pine. Last night was the biggest load in the firebox this season. It got plenty toasty. So I looked up some densities of Longleaf pine and loblolly pine and laurel oak. All readily available here in the coastal south. The dried density of the king leaf and the laurel were within 4% of each other. Adding the resin heat content to the pine lest just call them identical.
My pine will season in 12 months. 2+ for the oak.

Which would you rather burn?
Evan

6F11E635-4FFA-44DA-AB4A-237AB26837CF.jpeg77697FB4-1EA2-4E3F-9F9B-9905C345A2D6.jpegC1B2D06B-BE3B-4456-8338-6F8130E064A2.jpeg237A1522-F065-40DD-B330-9CB9C8ED621F.jpeg

Red oak with out a doubt..you get ahead and stay ahead..

I voted for red oak as well, I'm currently sitting on over 5 cords of bur oak that will be good to burn 3 years from now. Obviously since I can't burn all that oak now, for the next several winters I will be using a mix of ash, cherry, birch and pine to get me through. Ash is such a great all around wood and here in WI, the Emerald Ash Borer has just caused so much ash tree death people are more than happy to get rid of their dead ash trees for free (I use local tree companies and get logs dropped on my driveway). Oak, hickory and locust are my preferred winter burning woods, with the ash being used for daytime fires anytime the daytime temps are 40 or higher. The pine, birch and cherry are my shoulder season woods and are used on the warmest days and nights.

I'll play devils advocate. Betting you have all the pine you want easily? Burns fine with very little ash. Cuts easy. Seasons quickly. I'd burn both but lean heavy on the pine as long as it provides the burn time required.

I wont lie...I like pine during shoulder season and milder days in winter since it makes short hot fires but we just have very little of it available. I voted red simply because to me it's a better all around firewood but I do get excited when I have some actual wood in the stack that will season in a year which is another plus for some pine.

I wont lie...I like pine during shoulder season and milder days in winter since it makes short hot fires but we just have very little of it available. I voted red simply because to me it's a better all around firewood but I do get excited when I have some actual wood in the stack that will season in a year which is another plus for some pine.
I would agree actually. I think I could get away with pine until January. When it starts actually getting really cold. Last year I burned some willow I had on hand all the way till after Christmas. Saved my oak for this year.

Longleaf pine in one of my favorite trees and I've prescribed burned many acres of it but red oak gets the nod for firewood.

If I am home to constantly feed the beast, Pine is great. But Oak is the choice since I cant be home all day, every day.

I gave it some thought before I voted. I voted pine. Couple reasons. If I had to buy word it’s much cheaper here. The fact that seasoning takes place a fraction of the time is a big plus. I was able to restart this morning 8 hours after my last load. I’m saving a big knotty piece for to night that I split with the saw. It’s almost a 12 pound chunk of fat wood.
Evan