Looking at food processors....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MasterMech

The wife has declared she wants a food processor for her birthday. Suggestions? Reviews? Warnings? She mentioned she wants one that blends as well.

My mom had one when I was growing up, she hardly ever used it.

My mom had and hadly used it, as well. It was one of things that everybody else had, but when she got it, she found she didn't need it. She was an amazing cook.

Anyway, we inherited it, and it recently broke. I would like to replace it, so I'll be watching.

Reactions: MasterMech
Cuisinart is almost synonymous with food processing. We have had the same large Cuisinart for over 25 years. It is built for commercial service and still works great.

You can make butter with a food processor...and hummus...Just say'in.

And also mayonnaise. We also have a smaller Cuisinart for smaller jobs.

Mine has the large work bowl as well as a smaller one. Something MM may consider looking at.

we have the "ninja"...has food processor and blender abilities...is easy to clean/operate. I don't use it much, but my wife likes it...makes salsa, chutney (which I think is pretty much the same as salsa...shhhh, you din't hear that from me)...never tried butter I don't think.

I have a smallish one (I think Cuisinart). It has made gallons of salsa, processed many tens of pounds of tomatoes, and exceeded its warranty and fire rating in smearing habaneros for jelly. I've also ground up woody echinacea roots for extraction (I used gin), and processed stuff that caused memory loss because I don't remember it. This time of the year it gets a serious workout.

Another vote for Cuisinart. They are to food processors what KitchenAid is to mixers. We have and use both.

Is this what the Cuisinart fans have? (or similar?)

http://www.cuisinartwebstore.com/detail/CUI+FP-14BK

we have the "ninja"...has food processor and blender abilities...is easy to clean/operate. I don't use it much, but my wife likes it...makes salsa, chutney (which I think is pretty much the same as salsa...shhhh, you din't hear that from me)...never tried butter I don't think.

Like this?

http://www.ninjakitchen.com/Ninja-1200W-Kitchen-System-BL665Q.shtml?tabID=detailsCont

FWIW, we have a regular blender already.

No clue. Not suggesting that you get the model I run, but maybe the option of a smaller work bowl along with the large one.

Ours is a DLC-7P. eBay has several nice ones.

I'm leaning towards a ninja too. I will report back with an update in the future.

Can't speak much for the really high end machines, but here is my experience:
Bought one several years ago from Goodwill, wanted to make pesto with it mostly. Worked okay, I found I didn't much care for it for other stuff, seemed more trouble than it was worth. used it to shred cheese and other vegetables, made a mess but it was fast. For some reason, I thought buying a "more modern" one was a good move, so got a Black and Decker, it was certainly less beat up, but didn't work any better than the Goodwill one.
Bottom line, I still pull one or the other out once a year to make pesto, maybe shred mozzerella once in a while, but unless you got one of them there dishwashing machines, they are a pain to clean all those parts.
Someone gave me one of those blending/chopper sets like the ones on the TV infomercials (Magic Bullet or something), and I use that a lot more.
I am with Delta and DevilsBrew, buy one of those Ninjas. But first, get her a CHEAP food processor to see if she likes it.
Another option--a little more pricey but more versatile, a Kitchenaid stand mixer, you can get attachments for it.

Can't speak much for the really high end machines, but here is my experience:
Bought one several years ago from Goodwill, wanted to make pesto with it mostly. Worked okay, I found I didn't much care for it for other stuff, seemed more trouble than it was worth. used it to shred cheese and other vegetables, made a mess but it was fast. For some reason, I thought buying a "more modern" one was a good move, so got a Black and Decker, it was certainly less beat up, but didn't work any better than the Goodwill one.
Bottom line, I still pull one or the other out once a year to make pesto, maybe shred mozzerella once in a while, but unless you got one of them there dishwashing machines, they are a pain to clean all those parts.
Someone gave me one of those blending/chopper sets like the ones on the TV infomercials (Magic Bullet or something), and I use that a lot more.
I am with Delta and DevilsBrew, buy one of those Ninjas. But first, get her a CHEAP food processor to see if she likes it.
Another option--a little more pricey but more versatile, a Kitchenaid stand mixer, you can get attachments for it.
Thanks FB!

Your post makes a lot of great points! She actually has a "mini" food processor we picked up at a yard sale for a couple bucks. She feels she's outgrown that. She also has a KitchenAid mixer with some slicing/grating attachments but she rarely bothers with those. I think I like using those more than she does. Especially the meat grinder. ;lol

She also has a "baby bullet" that got quite a bit of use when my son was eating purees and she still uses that occasionally to blend fruit "slurpees" for Jared.

I think her primary interest in the processor is its ability to chop and grind. Between the blender, mixer, and the processor she should be pretty well equipped from here on out!

Black and Decker quality has gone way downhill in recent decades... we used to buy BD toaster ovens but they only last like 2 years now.. I avoid them. A kitchenAid stand mixer is a great tool also - but not really for the same uses as a food processor. You need to think aobut what you are giong to use it for.

If you do a lot of baking or anything that requires a lot of mixing dry ingredients, whipping, etc. - stand mixer.

If you want to make coleslaw, salsa, chutneys, home made sauces, or anything that requires a lot of fine chopping, slicing, dicing = food processor.

Reactions: firebroad
Black and Decker quality has gone way downhill in recent decades... we used to buy BD toaster ovens but they only last like 2 years now.. I avoid them. A kitchenAid stand mixer is a great tool also - but not really for the same uses as a food processor. You need to think aobut what you are giong to use it for.

If you do a lot of baking or anything that requires a lot of mixing dry ingredients, whipping, etc. - stand mixer.

If you want to make coleslaw, salsa, chutneys, home made sauces, or anything that requires a lot of fine chopping, slicing, dicing = food processor.
I agree about B&D.

Never could figure out how to make a food processor dice anything, but they do slice if you follow directions and don't shoot the slices across the kitchen;em

One thing I found a food processor to do a great job of is mix up pie crust dough! Much better than by hand, doesn't get tough from overworking it.

Cuisinart is almost synonymous with food processing. We have had the same large Cuisinart for over 25 years. It is built for commercial service and still works great.
I cant find a FP that grates potato's to the right consistency for potato cakes. either they make soup or hash browns, nothing in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.