Looking at trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I find myself looking at almost every tree I see as firewood. Kinda like the way Wile E Coyote looks at Road Runner. I look up the trunk, and imagine where my cuts would be and how many splits I'd get out of each round. Or, sometimes I think of how I would cut it down, what limbs to start with, what direction to drop it etc. Does anybody else do this?

I used to be possessed like that but now find that wood already on the ground and bucked is much easier prey. While it may not always be a preferred variety and the length of the rounds is all over the place, a trailer load of rounds can be home at the splitter in no time. There seems to be an abundance of it around this time of year.

Funny you bring this up, I was just wondering the other day if I was the only one who thought like this!

Definitely do that with dead or dying trees in the neighborhood.

I'm even doing it with the live ones!

Not only that, but I find that I now can spot a woodpile from over a mile away. When I see a really nice, big one, I always want to stop and have a chat.

What makes me crazy is when I see the big pile of nicely stacked rotten wood in somebody's back yard.

Flatbedford said:
What makes me crazy is when I see the big pile of nicely stacked rotten wood in somebody's back yard.

or the truckload of rotting logs...its amazing how many of them I see

On my daily commute down the King's Highway I see a lot of dead and dying Elm that have been flagged for years. Since they arch toward the centre of the highway, I imagine they would want to close the highway to remove them. I worry more that the dead trees are a hazard as they stand.

No one does this 'sizing' with the ex ?

wendell said:
Not only that, but I find that I now can spot a woodpile from over a mile away. When I see a really nice, big one, I always want to stop and have a chat.
:lol: LMAO; we just came back from vacation up north (Mackinaw City) and my wife was goin crazy because I was always looking for woodpiles, log deliveries, etc. Saw some really nice stuff! Once you've seen the Big Mac bridge it's then just going back over the years to show the kids; for me I look forward to being in the "real" wood burning country! I so much wanted to rent a trailer and park it on the side of the road with a sign of "drop your wood here before entering the UP!" before they got to the real checkpoint! The coyote/road runner analogy is spot on! ;-P

I want to thank Flatbedford for posting this to make me feel sane or ( there is a bunch of insane people like me.) :) As Iam guilty as charged on this one. Its a firewood fetish I guess. Cheers.
N of 60

It drives my wife crazy. She'll be admiring a tree at a park or on some other piece of public property, while I'm
trying to figure out how I would cut it down or how many cords it would make.

northwinds said:
It drives my wife crazy. She'll be admiring a tree at a park or on some other piece of public property, while I'm
trying to figure out how I would cut it down or how many cords it would make.

That's exactly what I meant!

Status
Not open for further replies.