looking for a new wood stove for an old farmhouse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jghall

Hearth Supporter
Jan 3, 2008
Metro Atlanta
I have inherited my grandparents farmhouse in the Western NC Mountains... The house has wood heat only, was built in the 20's... Has some insulation but not insulated like it will be in the future (we have other things that have to be fixed first)... The windows are the old original single pane, so loose a lot of heat... We do not live here full time, so would need a stove that could bring the house temp when we arrive, but dont want to go too big... The house is 755sq ft with high ceilings... The current Hearth has a King Circulator that has a few issues... Its also waaaaaayyyyy overkill, and will run you out of the house when its really fired... I know I need a bigger stove for the purposes of warming a cold house up than just an 800 sq ft, but how big? I welcome any ideas... Ive been happily heating our regular 2500 sq ft home with a Buck model 74, set up as an insert since 2007... Thanks for any info

I have inherited my grandparents farmhouse in the Western NC Mountains... The house has wood heat only, was built in the 20's... Has some insulation but not insulated like it will be in the future (we have other things that have to be fixed first)... The windows are the old original single pane, so loose a lot of heat... We do not live here full time, so would need a stove that could bring the house temp when we arrive, but dont want to go too big... The house is 755sq ft with high ceilings... The current Hearth has a King Circulator that has a few issues... Its also waaaaaayyyyy overkill, and will run you out of the house when its really fired... I know I need a bigger stove for the purposes of warming a cold house up than just an 800 sq ft, but how big? I welcome any ideas... Ive been happily heating our regular 2500 sq ft home with a Buck model 74, set up as an insert since 2007... Thanks for any info
It takes a much bigger stove to warm up a house from say 40 or 30º to 70º than it takes to maintain a comfortable temp of 70 with those same outside temps. A compromise would be a medium-sized, ~2 cu ft stove that works well at milder temps with a partial load of wood. In a small home you'll probably want a stove with close clearances. Take a look at the Jotul F45, Buck 21 and the PE Super or T5 for a start. The Buck 21 is a bit on the small side, but the Buck 74 is a bit on the overkill size, unless you want the extra horsepower for warming up the place.

Is there any other source of heat to stop pipes from freezing or is there no plumbing?

After a lot of looking, spec comparing etc... Im seriously considering and Absulute Steel for my application, any thoughts.

Should work out ok.

Reactions: jghall
Ordered a Great Plain Absolute Steel from Woodstock this morning... They are currently waiting on Soapstone, so it will be 4-5wks for delivery...

Ordered a Great Plain Absolute Steel from Woodstock this morning... They are currently waiting on Soapstone, so it will be 4-5wks for delivery...

reaaally want some pics of this installed

Here you go. I ordered mine back in.........April'ish??? somewhere around there. Had to do some remodel to get the hearth completed the way i wanted it, etc. The company is great to work with. I requested the handles to be painted a different color and they did free of charge.
I also paid extra for the rear heat shield so i could move it closer to the back wall.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-30 080508d.gif
    Screenshot 2020-11-30 080508d.gif
    441.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot 2020-11-30 080445c.gif
    Screenshot 2020-11-30 080445c.gif
    240.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Screenshot 2020-11-30 080421b.gif
    Screenshot 2020-11-30 080421b.gif
    217.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot 2020-11-30 080355a.gif
    Screenshot 2020-11-30 080355a.gif