Looking For A Range Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm not sure that you are looking for a range boiler, which is a water tank that is connected to a wood burning stove. I have a stainless steel Amish made 40 gallon range boiler connected to my cookstove. The only other range boiler I've found is by Vaughn which is a concrete lined tank. I have never heard of using a range boiler as an expansion tank. My RB has two extra ports for adding electric heating elements, I'm sure the Vaughn unit does as well.

I'm not sure that you are looking for a range boiler, . The only other range boiler I've found is by Vaughn which is a concrete lined tank. I have never heard of using a range boiler as an expansion tank. .

Yes, I'm looking for a range boiler for an expansion tank. I want to get it up another floor higher where there is no heat and the old style range boiler with the strap on element would work good for the odd time that there could be freezing temperatures.
The other option that I'm looking at is getting a propane or gas hot water tank taking the burner out and run 4 inch PVC up from the boiler room and through the tank , this may be enough heat to prevent freezing .

Last edited: