Looking for advice on a used MTD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlesd

Hearth Supporter
Nov 8, 2008
Northern WI
My local hardware store is selling their rental log splitter for $200.00. It's an MTD Gold 21 ton that (according to them) needs a rebuilt pump, hydraulic valve, main cylinder, new hoses and a new tire. The engine seems to run well. I've rented the thing myself and it has always done what I need it to do.

This seems like a good deal to me. What does everyone else think?

Thanks!

I'll come from another direction: with a list of parts like that, I suspect the diagnosis might be by someone who has no clue and just listed everything he thought could be the cause of some minor problem..
Unless they ran water or trash through it, all that stuff should not be wrong. If you have run it, did it work ok?? Cycle to end of stroke, stall it there, feel for hot spots i the cylinder barrell and in the pump body.

Try and feel out the information, why does he think all those things are wrong, get an idea if he knows anything or making it up...

You have to make the call on the ground there, but for $200, I'd gamble that the diagnosis was bs. Even with a pump you would be fine. Valaves rarely fail, and cylinder seals arenot bad unless the tube is balloooned. Shoould be able to salvage enough to break even, or dianogse it further at home, and resell for 200 if not worth fixing.....

k

I wouldn't buy anything made by MTD...imo they have gone out of their way to intentionally engineer disposable junk that has to be replaced every couple of years. There business model is the same same as the Detroit auto makers of the late 60's early 70's... 'let's get everyone to buy a new car every couple of years'. Thanks to MTD brand names don't mean didly squat anymore.

That company has brought disgrace to the phrase...Made in America.

The splitter could be a good buy. The only part that could be difficult to replace is the cylinder IF it is a trunnion mount type which is the kind that is used on the short beam models. The models with the long beam will accept most standard cylinders. As far as quality MTD splitters use the same engines, pumps ,and control valves as the other brands, in their class.

Thanks all for the input.

I checked Northern Tool and it looks like I'd still be ahead by a couple hundred dollars even if I had to replace all of the parts the sales clerk thinks are bad.

I agree that the clerk seems to be describing just about everything that could possibly be wrong with the thing, probably to CYA.

My experience with MTD/Yard Machine lawn mowers is that they are pretty much garbage, but many posters in this forum seem very pleased with their log splitters.
The splitters also get good user reviews on other websites.

I went down and checked it out this morning in the light. The engine started on about the 5th pull and runs ok. The cylinder seems to work, and I used it to split a couple arm loads of red oak from 20 inch long medium sized rounds . It doesn't seem to have any hot spots or balooning, and the speed seems normal.

Aside from that flat tire (a five dollar fix at the most), the only problem I can see is a hydraulic fluid leak from the back end of the control valve. It doesn't look like anythings cracked. The leak is from what looks like a seam between the main body and the rear cap. The screws that hold it cap in place have two different heads - one hex and one phillips - so I suspect one or the other was lost at one time and rigged with whatever hardware was handy.

Any thoughts?

If the motor runs than the hydraulic parts can be rebuilt. Especially cylinders , they usually run 50-100 a piece depending on what the seal kit costs. Hoses, run em till they leak, then pull the hose and bring it to a good auto shop, most Napa's can make a hose on site.
A valve if it goes, then northern tool sells them for 70 if its past rebuild time.
Pick it up and fix stuff when it breaks. For 200, it would be dumb not too.

I went and got her late this afternoon, along with a new spark plug, bolts for the end cap, new hydraulic fluid and filter. I'll bring it out to the wood pile in the morning and see how it goes.

Thanks!

I believe you made the right choice by getting it. You could put it for sale tomorrow for $500 and people would be beating down your door to give you $400-$450 and think they also got a good deal. On the other hand you could go to the other extreme and replace the pump, valve, cylinder and hoses with new for $650 and have $850 into a $1250 splitter with a used engine. by the way hows the compression on that engine?

Or best yet do what Dill said "fix stuff when it breaks"

good job on your MTD splitter

charlesd,
The cap on the back of the control valve is just a cover for the detent assembly there is no seal. A leak in that area usually indicates worn o-rings on the spool. If you take the valve apart note the exact position of the spring and balls. There will be either a nut and stud or an ellen head screw at the back end which sets the detent release pressure, note the number of turns when removing.

Well, I split about 1 face cord today without any problems, including some big 24 inch logs with knots. I'm pretty satisfied with my $200 investment.

Thanks all for the advice and input. This is a great forum and I'm glad I took the time to do the research!

Stay warm!
Charles

BTW what does it cost to rent a splitter? I hear people talking about it on here but don't think I ever caught a price.

60-100 a day around here.

Good to hear charlesd hell for 2bills you can't go wrong...good score.

The new splitter my hardware store is renting is $65 for 8 hours, $120 for 24 hours. Of course it's a lot bigger than the used one I bought.

Ok thanks I was going to say if you split with it for 2-3 days (without it breaking) you got your money back.
Congrats on the new to you splitter

savageactor7 said:
I wouldn't buy anything made by MTD...imo they have gone out of their way to intentionally engineer disposable junk that has to be replaced every couple of years. There business model is the same same as the Detroit auto makers of the late 60's early 70's... 'let's get everyone to buy a new car every couple of years'. Thanks to MTD brand names don't mean didly squat anymore.

That company has brought disgrace to the phrase...Made in America.

I do not own anything MTD but my splitter - similar to this one. 10 yrs old and 5 of it in my possession - bought it then for $450 used. Have done nothing but add hydraulic fluid, change filter, cleaned carb bowl and orifice, tightened a coupla bolts and added gas.

Good Luck with your $200 splitter - nice find!

FWIW, my friend with the wood business has two splitters that we use a LOT... One is an older MDT / Yard Machine 20 Ton unit, the other is a SuperSplit flywheel splitter...

The MTD has probably done hundreds of cords, I know I've probably put 40-50 cords through it myself. Over the years my friend has repaired replaced most parts, but with an eye towards upgrading it - it's now got an 8hp Honda motor, and a 16gpm pump, which gives it a relatively fast cycle time, probably ~10 seconds or so. He finally took it in to get the valve, cylinder and maybe the hoses gone through as it was leaking pretty badly, but was still splitting just fine.

Only problem I had with it was once I broke the baseplate welds off it - the machine was several years old at that point, and the welds were visibly HORRIBLE - I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. Judging from the fresh metal, it had less than one inch of good weld across the beam / footplate joint. It went off to the welding shop for a couple of days, came back better than new.

All that aside, I can sit in front of that splitter for hours and just keep banging out the wood, OTOH while the SuperSplit can work much faster when it's running, it is VERY maintainance intensive and is much more finicky to keep it going...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.