Looking for advice on a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason762

Feb 14, 2006
Newtown, CT
Hello I am new here and looking to buy my first wood stove. I am looking for some advice on what stove people prefer. I have done a lot of research and I am pretty sure I will be going with something made by Travis Industries. Now let me tell you about what I will be heating. It is a 2400 sq ft 2 story colonial. The stove will be an insert for an existing masonry fireplace. The stove will be in a large open room with cathedral ceilings that is open to a large kitchen. There are 3 stoves I am looking into and they are the Lopi Freedom Insert, the Avalon Olympic Insert, and the Fireplace Xtrordinair Model 33 Elite Insert. If anyone has experience with any of these stoves give me your opinions. Thanks for the help.

There is nothing above the great room, it is a one story extension off the side of the house with cathedral ceilings. The rest of the house is about 1200 sq ft downstairs and 1200 sq ft upstairs. All bedrooms are upstairs, it is a typical center hall colonial layout. Hope that answers your question.

All three of those models have basically the same firebox. The Flush wood insert doors are kind of short, not too short for me but it's a comment that many customers have made to me. Great looking stoves function well. The Freedom is nice because it sticks out on the hearth a little bit.

Maybe look for one that has a nice cook surface.

Look at Pacific Energy Summit also.

Status
Not open for further replies.