Looking for Advice Regarding Replacement Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsyorke

Hearth Supporter
Jan 15, 2010
Nyack NY
I live in a small carriage house (approx. 1350 sq ft) built in 1900 that I am in the process of renovating. There is an existing freestanding Montgomery wood/coal burning stove in the living room (see picture) that, from what I gather, has not been used for 10 or more years. I would like to replace it with a more efficient, cleaner-burning wood stove. (I am looking at the Lopi 1250 + 1750 but am open to suggestions.) I didn't think it would be a difficult job, however the guys that came to take a look last week seem reluctant to take it on or even to give me an estimate. I am pretty handy, I was planning to remove the old stove and the existing 'hearth' (fake bricks) myself, and now I am thinking of installing the replacement stove too, however I am concerned about using the existing set up. I don't know how long it's been since it was last used or cleaned, and I know nothing about how to check to make sure it is safe as is. Any suggestions? Thanks very much.

Attachments

• Looking for Advice Regarding Replacement Stove
    photo.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 186
Get a chimney sweep to check it out.

chimney sweep takes care of clean + (maybe) safe, but what about installation? is it a bad idea to take that on? it doesn't seem that difficult but wondering if I am overlooking something. also hoping for a recommendation on the stove itself, given the circumstances I described in the original post. thanks

Greetings js. Can you supply a bit more information so that we are more familiar with the current installation and the intended changes? Let us know the whole picture. How is the current stove set up? What's currently installed, from the stove, through the roof to the cap?

As for stoves, there are a lot of choices. But again, we need the bigger picture. What is the size of the room the stove is in? Size of the total area to be heated? How open is the house floorplan? And last, what is the goal for heating with wood? 24/7 burning or nights and weekends?

well, since you asked... : )

the existing stove is set up on 4' x 4' fake brick (cement?) hearth in the corner of the living room (about 300 sq ft with 8 ft ceilings) in a small, 100+ year old, 2-story carriage house, currently heated exclusively by a very old + inefficient natural gas furnace. The house has a fairly open floor plan on the ground floor, which is about 675 sq ft, and 3 bedrooms (2 small, 1 large) upstairs. The stove pipe that attaches to the stove has an oval base and is probably original. I imagine that would need to be replaced, along with the hearth and stove itself. The pipe goes through the ceiling and through the corner of a large bedroom on the second floor (approx 450 sq ft with a vaulted ceiling) and out the roof. (see picts, and please ignore the mess.) The part of the pipe that goes through the bedroom is much newer and is probably up to code. That can probably stay. I don't know anything about the cap.

As far as how the stove would be used... I don't imagine it would be burning 24/7, but on the other hand, if it works great maybe I would, especially if the furnace conks out. both my husband and I work from home, we have two small kids, so someone is usually home. we live about 15 mi NW of New York City, it doesn't get too cold for long stretches here, but we had the proverbial 'WBFP' when we lived in NYC, and really, really miss the comfort / warmth / beauty of a fire.

regarding choosing a stove, as I mentioned in the first post I am looking at the Lopi which was recommended by a friend. low emissions + efficiency are important, as well as a big glass door to see the fire.

thanks very much for taking time to respond. if I left out any crucial info please let me know.

Attachments

photo1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 145
    photo2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 136
    photo3.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 143
Do not worry you will get lots of answers. My input is you have to know the size of the current pipe [inside diameter] and the size of the stove pipe needed for any new stove before making a decision. You can use over sized pipe for a smaller stove size but the draft will not be as good and you might get more creosote buildup. Take it in steps first determine the stove then whats necessary to make a good safe installation. A point to remember is the chimney is just if not more important to having a successful stove installation. Take the pipe right above the stove out and check the remaining chimney. Like said earlier get an experienced chimney sweep some are good at installation also. My guess is the pipe above the ceiling will work but you need to find its condition. Also the rule is that pipe above the ceiling inside living areas has to be enclosed. Boxed in with the pipe clearances which should be 2".
Your current choice might be fine but you are in early days and I would research this site for other options. Theres lots to learn but everythings on this site and you can certainly do it all yourself.

I would think that a 2 cu ft stove would satisfy your needs. The Lopi 1750 fits this bill as would a Pacific Energy Spectrum. But before deciding, I would also look at a Woodstock Keystone or Palladian as a classy addition to the old carriage house.

Status
Not open for further replies.