Looking for chimney cap that seals at the top when not in use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen the ones that go on terra cotta tile, but is there a cap that has a pull chain that would seal off say an 8" pre fab chimney?

Thanks.

Yes I think there is, but it's kludgy. I have a 6" stainless liner, and had a trap-door / pullchain style damper installed in a single terra cotta tile section set above the top termination point of the liner at the top of my chimney. Would something like that work? It occurs to me there should be some better way to do it for a pre-fab chimney...

Note: This was put in 2 seasons ago, then we installed the Heritage this year and actually started using the flue. Ripped the damper out after about a month - it was completely tarred up, unable to move. I have a huge central chimney - likely should try to insulate it, but that's a concern for another day... This is the center flue, and I'm not sure what I would gain from insulating just the 10 feet sticking out thru the roof. It turns below the roofline - it'll be tough for insulation to get down past that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.