Looking for current info on fireplace/welding gloves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Judge80

Aug 23, 2022
Midwest
I searched some threads for info on welding or fireplace gloves and most posts were about 10+ years old. Quality and standards change in that amount of time. So, I was curious if people have some preferences on these gloves?

I don’t own a stove yet so I am trying to picture how often I’d actually be using these and how far into the fire I would have to go to place logs rather than toss em in. I’d like to think I could hope to get a few years out of a pair. I’d rather spend $50+ on a pair that is known to last a few years than buy a $15-20 pair that would fray or rip in a few months and be upset.

Thanks!

I would just get something that extends up the forearm at least a bit. Past that, I imagine they’re all going to do the job.

I guess I should mention my biggest concern is them fitting. I have large hands and generally wear an extra large size. Most of the places online don’t even say a size.

I guess I should mention my biggest concern is them fitting. I have large hands and generally wear an extra large size. Most of the places online don’t even say a size.
I’m 6”2 and can palm a basketball. I’ve had no trouble with XL size fitting. I’m not sure if your hands are beefy and that’s what you mean.

I’m 6”2 and can palm a basketball. I’ve had no trouble with XL size fitting. I’m not sure if your hands are beefy and that’s what you mean.
I’m 6’3” and I don’t have sausage fingers or anything. The problem is most of the Amazon links I’ve found say “one size fits most” which is nonsense and, quite frankly, a cop out. There is one brand I can think of that allowed me to choose M, L, or XL in stock.

Go to a HF store. It's been a few years but I think they have sizes. In any case you'll be able to try them on.

I love my HF welding gloves. I can pick up a burning log that fell against the glass and put it back where it belongs. Way better than fighting with fireplace tongs.

It’s definitely a good thing to invest in. I use them almost every time I reload the stove. You can pick up a burning log (you still feel the heat, but don’t burn yourself) to place it better or if a piece falls out on the floor you can pick it up and throw it in the stove. Even if you don’t use them, they’re still good to have by the stove. As for brand and size recommendations, I’m not much help, the gloves I have were already by the stove when we moved in and are quite worn out.

I'm 5'16" (ok, 6'4" for anyone thinking) and can palm a ball too, just get the best and forget it. You can grab a lit log with good stuff and not worry about it. Don't get those HF cheepies with short sleeves, and burn your forearms, "you wanna know how I know, I got scars to prove it", get the best and forget it!