Looking for feedback on my chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chetaget

Nov 19, 2022
Skandia, Mi
Hi All, first season with my Blazeking and my first season burning indoor for heat. We used to have an outdoor boiler, but I got tired of cutting so much wood each year. We have the Chinook 20 and have burned about 5 weeks total. Out of curiosity i ran up and wanted to take a look at what my flue looked like. I have a layer of dry black creosote, seems flaky and not sticky. The wood which I have tested on fresh splits is maple between 12% and 16%. Does this look normal for 18 feet of chimney ? its a straight shot to the stove.

This photo is looking down to the stove
e927d9c6-3059-4d84-a39f-c0083b2def2d.jpg

This is the top 3 feet, what you see at the bottom is the snow covered roof. (im to short to see down it while its on the stack.)
58e721d8-017b-483d-b94f-a89ab67aa921.jpg

Any input is appreciated.

I don't see anything concerning. Especially if you have burned 24/7 for 5 weeks.

To me this is soot, not creosote. It's not very black but greyish, looks powdery. Looks good to me.

Just keep inspecting this year. In 8 weeks the next time? (If your wood is the same quality.)

Thanks @stoveliker. Ran the brush down it while I was up there and it was just flaky dust. I feel quite a bit better after taking a look given the low flue temps of the Blazeking. I run wide open on each reload until its all charred, and then turn it down to almost the bottom of the stoves range. Our house is small at 1560 square feet and no hallways. Any setting above the lower half of the dial and our house is 80 degrees. Trying to find that balance where the house isn't to warm has been a learning experience.

Reactions: stoveliker