Looking for help picking a new wood fireplace insert... code question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

marcusk

Nov 19, 2021
MI
Trying to find a wood burning insert and have some limitations. My hearth has an arch opening, this imposes some size restrictions so selection is already a little limited. Real question is the hearth extension... my hearth extends 20" from the brick face of the fireplace. I think I would prefer an insert that protrudes into the room. However after taking into consideration the protrusion (let's say 7" for the Regency Hi2450) I'm left with 13" of hearth protrusion which falls short of the 16" code. Am I interpreting this correctly? Am I stuck with a flush fireplace insert? All the marketing materials show less clearance, though I realize those are just advertising. Any help is appreciated.

see if the hearth only needs ember protection (I suspect that'll be the case). You could then add something (e.g. black metal plate) in front of your hearth.

Also, pictures will help get better advice.

Reactions: Sono