Looking for help with wood storage I can load from the outside and get from the inside. (pass thru)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
I have this area about 3 feet wide right next to my hearth. On the other side of that wall is the outside of course, and it's the backside of my house right next to my chase chimney. My father has something like what I am looking to do in his garage. He lifts this lid up on this wide box and loads the wood into it. Then from the inside of their home next to their fireplace is a bench. You lift that lid and there is the firewood. This may be common to you vets here but this was new to me and I'm rather ashamed I didn't think of this sooner being as smart and humble as I am. :)

So anyways, I like this idea and want to do this in my home to make it easy and since I have a long wide walkway on the back of mt house I can store about a cord of wood right next to where this box would be. I need help with this pass thru though. I know how to make it look nice inside, but I want to make sure I do a few things right.

1) Prevent Insects - I know there will be some getting in with the wood, but that aside, how can I really keep them there and not allow them into my house? Some sort of a built in screen with the lids? I will of course caulk all the seams.

2) Insulation - To be honest I was going to use that canned foam on the inside and shave off the excess (like they do when they spray foam a house) as I think that will be easier and more durable that fiberglass and harder for critters to nest in.

3) On the exterior lid, should I shingle the top to match the roof? While about 75% of the exterior lid will be under the eave, I still want it to look professional.

4) Will this add too or take away from the value of my home? While I like the idea and really see it's value on me and the ease of use for my wife, I know not everyone will like the "hearty" lifestyle we use. However, it is a good little wood stove and I think this option would really make it look like a user friendly "system" for a would be home buyer. What do you guys think?

Finally if anyone has done something like this, pics would really be great to help me see my vision. I have some left over stone from my hearth that I was going to use to side the outside box so it will all match which I think is a good idea.

Thanks in advance for your guys feedback and have a great day!

I wish my dad was as smart as yours, I lugged wood all the way around the house every night from the time I was six. A pass through wood box would have made a big difference in how much work and mess involved. Your Idea sounds good to me, I can't think of any different way to do it, and dressing it up to look like the rest of the house will help the resale value the most.
Some sort of way to latch the doors for security and storm wind stopping would be a good idea.
Make sure you keep us posted and put up pictures!

hummmmm I dunno if I would do that. Yeah it sounds convenient but why do you want to F up your house like that? I don't mean to be harsh but imo that's a real bad idea...you don't want to do that.

rowerwet said:
I wish my dad was as smart as yours, I lugged wood all the way around the house every night from the time I was six. A pass through wood box would have made a big difference in how much work and mess involved. Your Idea sounds good to me, I can't think of any different way to do it, and dressing it up to look like the rest of the house will help the resale value the most.
Some sort of way to latch the doors for security and storm wind stopping would be a good idea.
Make sure you keep us posted and put up pictures!

Yeah well he waited till I was moved out to do this so I never got to benefit...well I do when I visit and he "lets" me load his woodbox. lol Latches, good idea man, never thought of that.

savageactor7 said:
hummmmm I dunno if I would do that. Yeah it sounds convenient but why do you want to F up your house like that? I don't mean to be harsh but imo that's a real bad idea...you don't want to do that.

I don't take it as harsh, but I'm curious why you think that I would be "f'ing" up my house by doing this. Please elaborate.

I once saw a set-up that had a bench type chase leading from the inside wood storage area to the outside. The guy took the tires off the wheels of a little red wagon and with some cable and pulleys, he pulled it back and forth on top of some conduit he used for a track, inside of the chase.
It was cheap, easy, efficient, and didn't "F" up his house.
Your welcome in advance.

Can you post a pic of both outside and inside, where you're going to make the hole. I don't see any problem with doing this at all, as long as it looks good.
I remember seing posts from a few different people who've done something like this.

A guy at work is planning a new addition with a wood stove for his house, and I'm trying to convince him to do something similar. I would build a closet next to the stove that has two doors: an exterior outswing door on the back wall to load through and one on the inside to pull from. I might also use an exterior door for the inside, because it is weather-stripped and bug-tight. Instead of drywall, I'd use plywood inside the closet, and maybe cut in two discreet screened vents, one low and one high for air circulation. A shelf or two would be helpful for organizing the splits (big ones on the bottom, smalls in the middle, a place for kindling, etc...). Load it up from the outside and wala! Perhaps a week or so's supply right next to the stove, dry and ready to burn, with no carrying it through the house.

I think it's a fabulous idea....but first thing to pop into my head is a friend of mine. She locks her car up tight when she gets out to fill her gas tank. She gets home and locks the doors. She goes out for the mail and locks her doors. She'd freak if there was an opening big enough for even a very small child to enter/exit.

cityevader said:
I think it's a fabulous idea....but first thing to pop into my head is a friend of mine. She locks her car up tight when she gets out to fill her gas tank. She gets home and locks the doors. She goes out for the mail and locks her doors. She'd freak if there was an opening big enough for even a very small child to enter/exit.

Put a lot of locks on it.

I don’t take it as harsh, but I’m curious why you think that I would be “f’ing” up my house by doing this. Please elaborate.

Firelion well for one thing you're cutting a hole in the house. So there's structural integrity issues that start percolating along with avoiding any electrical wires.

OK so now there's a door sized hole running lengthwise along the floor. That will let in a lot of cold air. Because the wood box is so 'convenient' to use it'll be less likely to be cleaned out regularly so it may become a breeding ground for who knows what.

Of coarse there's personal security issues that may or may not be an issue. Your home up until recently use to be one of you biggest investments so you have to think what other home buyers will think.

Sure bringing wood in can be a hassle ...but those are some of the sacrifices we willing make for free radiant heat. Look for other hassles associated with wood handeling/burning and eliminate them to the point that you 'enjoy' stepping out in the winter.

If you do follow through with this I sincerely wish you the best and look forward to reading how everything turns out.

[quote author="tlhfirelion" date="1231799608"]
1) Prevent Insects - I know there will be some getting in with the wood, but that aside, how can I really keep them there and not allow them into my house? Some sort of a built in screen with the lids? I will of course caulk all the seams.

2) Insulation - To be honest I was going to use that canned foam on the inside and shave off the excess (like they do when they spray foam a house) as I think that will be easier and more durable that fiberglass and harder for critters to nest in.

3) On the exterior lid, should I shingle the top to match the roof? While about 75% of the exterior lid will be under the eave, I still want it to look professional.

4) Will this add too or take away from the value of my home? While I like the idea and really see it's value on me and the ease of use for my wife, I know not everyone will like the "hearty" lifestyle we use. However, it is a good little wood stove and I think this option would really make it look like a user friendly "system" for a would be home buyer. What do you guys think?

Finally if anyone has done something like this, pics would really be great to help me see my vision. I have some left over stone from my hearth that I was going to use to side the outside box so it will all match which I think is a good idea.
quote]

1- Knock the wood off and hope for the best. Insects are a fact of life.
2- Insulation- If the box is outside, all you need to do is insulate the door and have a good weather seal around it.
3- Yes, if it needs protection from the weather, shinlge it. Matching roof shingles would be a real nice touch.
4- I've viewed homes that were just completely remodeled by the homeowner. Many of them looked like it and it may sell to some but made for twice the work for me. The idea is sound! It's been around forever. Do a nice job and everyone will admire it.

Matching stone for the walls? Sounds sweet.
I'd like a chance to admire it myself when your done. Send pictures.
Someone on here has done something like you want and posted pictures but I don't know who or where.

cityevader said:

Woodford - Yes pics will show up in the next day or so.

City - I agree security will be paramount but this is not a large opening. I honestly think someone will break a window and crawl in that way as opposed to cutting a lock then climbing down over and up thru a very small opening. You do make a very valid point, security is very important. Thanks!

savageactor7 said:
I don’t take it as harsh, but I’m curious why you think that I would be “f’ing” up my house by doing this. Please elaborate.

Firelion well for one thing you're cutting a hole in the house. So there's structural integrity issues that start percolating along with avoiding any electrical wires.

OK so now there's a door sized hole running lengthwise along the floor. That will let in a lot of cold air. Because the wood box is so 'convenient' to use it'll be less likely to be cleaned out regularly so it may become a breeding ground for who knows what.

Of coarse there's personal security issues that may or may not be an issue. Your home up until recently use to be one of you biggest investments so you have to think what other home buyers will think.

Sure bringing wood in can be a hassle ...but those are some of the sacrifices we willing make for free radiant heat. Look for other hassles associated with wood handeling/burning and eliminate them to the point that you 'enjoy' stepping out in the winter.

If you do follow through with this I sincerely wish you the best and look forward to reading how everything turns out.

I think you make a valid point, but maybe I gave you the impression this was going to be a big opening, and it's not really. It will not be even close to a "door sized hole". I have a small stove so I cut all my logs to be roughly 16" long. So this box would only be 2 to 2 and a half feet wide by roughly the same height. So cutting a hole in my house, while that should be taken serious, things like structural integrity are not an issue. That small of an opening can easily be reinforced to be even stronger than the initial solo 2X6. I also know there are no wires/pipes in this area of the wall. We are kind of clean freaks so cleaning it out is not a concern.

I do appreciate your feedback and if I was making a giant door sized opening then yes, you would be right to be concerned. In this instance, I don't think the worry is justified as much.

if anyone can locate any other threads about this type of thing I would love the link as my searches have turned up nothing. Thanks!

kenny chaos said:
I once saw a set-up that had a bench type chase leading from the inside wood storage area to the outside. The guy took the tires off the wheels of a little red wagon and with some cable and pulleys, he pulled it back and forth on top of some conduit he used for a track, inside of the chase.
Your welcome in advance.

uumm...yyyeeeaaahhhh...."No thank you"........in advance. :D

tlhfirelion said:
kenny chaos said:
Your welcome in advance.

See, it's so easy to judge. This thing was hid in a bookcase and was really firstclass. It sounds as cheesey as what you want to do but it's all in the illusion.

tlhfirelion said:
savageactor7 said:

I think you make a valid point, but maybe I gave you the impression this was going to be a big opening, and it's not really. It will not be even close to a "door sized hole". I have a small stove so I cut all my logs to be roughly 16" long. So this box would only be 2 to 2 and a half feet wide by roughly the same height. So cutting a hole in my house, while that should be taken serious, things like structural integrity are not an issue. That small of an opening can easily be reinforced to be even stronger than the initial solo 2X6. I also know there are no wires/pipes in this area of the wall. We are kind of clean freaks so cleaning it out is not a concern.

I do appreciate your feedback and if I was making a giant door sized opening then yes, you would be right to be concerned. In this instance, I don't think the worry is justified as much.

As long as your opening is smaller than a double garage door there should be no problem. :lol:

kenny chaos said:
tlhfirelion said:
kenny chaos said:
Your welcome in advance.

See, it's so easy to judge. This thing was hid in a bookcase and was really firstclass. It sounds as cheesey as what you want to do but it's all in the illusion.

I'm putting sparkly streamers and a bell on mine. lol Just kidding man.

As long as your opening is smaller than a double garage door there should be no problem. :lol:[/quote]

:D

CZARCAR said:
considered installing a cellar type window at the location?

I did but the view out of that window would be right into my idiot nieghbors garage. So I kinda nixed that idea.

the closest thing to your Idea I have seen on this site is a man who has his stove in the cellar, he just built a shed over a cellar window on the outside. He loads the wood into the shed and shuts the outer door, then he opens the cellar window to get the wood as needed. during the sumer his wife puts the lawn furniture cushions into this shed whenever rain is predicted, so they are both happy. Obviously a window has limitations, (smash!) but it is air/bug tight, I think he was talking about putting a board over the window as the view didn't mater any more.

OK it's probably me and a less than average reading comprehension ability sorry to rain on the parade here. Good luck on the project firelion.

Status
Not open for further replies.