Looking for Info on FC500 Fire Chief's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NativeOne

Jul 6, 2020
Warm Springs, OR
Hello, I work with a Housing Authority in rural Oregon and I was tasked with finding information on why Fire Chiefs were unfit to install in Oregon. This forum seems to be very knowledgeable on the subject so I figured it was worth a shot. Long story short, we bought 40+ Fire Chiefs back in 2009, installed a few in our units, but then came to find out they weren't approved for installation anywhere in Oregon. The few that were installed were then taken out and they have been in storage ever since. We are trying to figure out what could be done with them or even find some literature on why we weren't allowed to install them in the first place. I am aware I may have left out some details because I myself have very little information on the subject as this all happened way before I arrived. Any direction given is much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Well, no matter what the reason, there is a new one now...as of May 15th of this year no wood burner can be sold/installed in the US unless it has passed the latest round of EPA emissions requirements...and they are much tighter than anything previously...no idea what could legally be done with those FC500's at this point...sold to someone outside of the states maybe?

Last edited:
Even back in 2009, Washington and likely Oregon too, required a certain maximum level of emissions per hour from all solid fuel burners. The fire chief was way too dirty.

Sounds like they never should have been bought in the first place. A tough break for sure. Not sure what we will do with them because selling them outside the States sounds like more trouble than its worth. Thank you all for your feedback, it has been very helpful.

Not sure what we will do with them because selling them outside the States sounds like more trouble than its worth.
I would think selling 40+ of these to somewhere close, like Canada, would still be worth the trouble?

Couldn't they be sold as used? Or donated somewhere out of state? (I'll take em!)
Not in the states...legally anyways.
I'm not sure where things stand at this point, but originally the phase II 2020 regs included that non 2020 certified models could only be used as is, where is...could not be sold, or even moved.

The HPBA said non 2020 compliant units cannot even be given away, didn't mention moving them.
They could be sold for commercial use (shop heater, etc, there's a commercial exemption) but not for use in a residence.

The HPBA said non 2020 compliant units cannot even be given away, didn't mention moving them.
I guess I should clarify "moved"...I meant take your old stove with you when you buy a different place...as in install in a different location.

Last edited: