Looking for Inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carlschmarl2

Sep 13, 2012
NE OH
We're in the market for a pellet stove insert to complement our LP Furnace.

We currently have an older Vermont Castings wood burner that's in need of a rebuild and sits in the fire place opening unused.

The Wife Unit has expressed getting a good Pellet Insert that is lower maintenance than the wood burner (ie cutting, splitting, carrying, stacking, stoking a wood stove vs loading hopper).

Our house is a two story ~2200sqft.

What brand and make/model do you all suggest?

In two words, Harman (Accentra) - Quadrafire (Classic Bay ;) or Vernon AE)

Is the fireplace centrally located? How well does the wood eater do at heating the place?

In two words, Harman (Accentra) - Quadrafire (Classic Bay ;) or Vernon AE)

Is the fireplace centrally located? How well does the wood eater do at heating the place?

We haven't used it yet. It appears to be in need of a serious rebuild and I don't want to put much money into it since we are planning on getting a pellet stove.

The opening in your fireplace will dictate which inserts you will be able to install. I would start there and find out which models would fit first. That may eliminate quite a few choices if you have a smaller opening.

The opening in your fireplace will dictate which inserts you will be able to install. I would start there and find out which models would fit first. That may eliminate quite a few choices if you have a smaller opening.

35 3/4" x 35 3/4" x 22" deep with a 36" tile around the "fire box/mantle"opening...

Would we better off with an actual stove versus an insert?

My Avalon Astoria Bay has been pretty good. Very low maintenance. I had an issue with a faulty auger motor shortly after I got it which was replaced under warranty. No issues since.

If I had a choice I would go free standing vs. insert, but with my house design insert was the only option.

The fireplace is nice to use as an actual fireplace in the fall/spring time. We do miss it.

The Harman Accentra is the most popular. Can vouch for it. Love it. Have installed hundreds and hundreds and hundreds. No real problems with them either. Components seem to go forever. Lots of folks love the m55 insert, big bucks but is slowly winning me over. Mt Vernon AE....personally I love the simplicity of quads, the AE is not simple to work on or cheap. Very quiet and great looking but many have issues which are complex and only the actual dealer that sold you the unit can fix. I would get a cb1200 over the AE any day

I have no complaints with my Accentra. Installed in an old stone fireplace , in a 100 yr old drafty 2 story lake house. (2400 sqft). Came downstairs 30 mins ago to mid 70's
Recycled my pic from show your stove thread :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 171
Reactions: fmsm
Would we better off with an actual stove versus an insert?​

I would say that would depend upon the look that you are going for. I personally would do an insert in a fireplace opening over a freestanding sitting in the same area.

The freestanding units usually have a much bigger hopper, and are MUCH easier to maintain and service.

Yes, freestanding units are much easier to maintain and service. But if you purchase an insert that is mounted on rails or design something yourself, I don't think that servicing and maintenance would be much different.

When I tore out our LP fireplace and installed the Castile insert, I made a dolly that I can slide my insert onto and roll the whole unit outside in the spring to do my cleaning. All of the mess is outside other than the mess from cleaning the venting. Yes, it takes a little longer to do this, but I think that it is well worth it.

I have no complaints with my Accentra. Installed in an old stone fireplace , in a 100 yr old drafty 2 story lake house. (2400 sqft). Came downstairs 30 mins ago to mid 70's
Recycled my pic from show your stove thread :)
What a beautiful setup!

Status
Not open for further replies.