Looking for muffin fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailed_nailer

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2007
Cape Cod, Ma
I'd like to get a couple of 120VAC 4" or so muffin type fans to use for distribution fans in my house.

I purchased 2 165CFM 5" 7-blade 120VAC fans last week but they run way to loud. I took a shot in a surplus catalog. The high end was 600CFM and the low end was 24CFM. I went with the 165 figuring they would work. Guess I was wrong. That was $50.00 wasted

I plan on putting them in the corners of the entry between our kitchen and living room (stove location).

Can someone recommend a good quiet fan? Or what are you all using?

Thanks,
---Nailer---

Funny,

That is what I had envisioned as me making with the surplus fans. For the price tag I'd think the HD corner fan would be quieter.

Thanks for looking.

---Nailer---

The muffin fan
Who lives on Drury Lane?

I have one like you describe-put out a tremendous amount of air for the size-not real noisy...are you looking for a model number? I got this one for free somewhere...sometime...can't recall exactly. 120 volts

STAY AWAY FROM ENTREAIR. I finally broke down and bought one a couple years back to help move the air along the ceiling. Trust me when I say my Cessna's prop makes less noise at the same speed. This unit really sux and its no charm to mount if you want to do it right either. That is any and all speeds btw.

Here is what I have. http://www.a14electronics.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=++fba010w&Search;.x=0&Search;.y=0

haier fba010w

Of course no pic and I would post one if my camera hadn' t gone wandering since yesterday. I have had this little wonder since 2004 when I bought it at either Wallyworld or Lowes. Neither seem to carry it anymore. Just picture a 10"box fan just like the big boys but 10 3/4 b 11 1/2" in size . This is the only really quiet fan I have ever found. I let mine run all winter at 40 watts and it does about the same job as the big 20 " I currently have running in my hallway. The hauer is small and not sharp for the tripping over you will be doing unless you mount it high. Theo only weak part is the rather small legs which are easily broken and tip over . It is easily solved by making a base from a piece of board the same size as the fan and screwed into the bottom of the legs. You can just chop them off for a 10 by 10" upper installation. Mine finally died and aside from cobbling it together so it will run again, switch seems shot. I doubt very much you will see one in the stores as I have been looking for another since I got that one in 04. I am going to buy 2 more via the net probably from that link if they check out as a valid store, I did just find it 10 minutes ago. You can pretty easily cut that wire and bypass the switch and just mount it in an upper corner if you have enough head clearance. It shouldn't take up much more room than the entreeair and should still look pretty good. You won't need to wear headphones to sleep either and the price is right. I take mine apart and clean the motor each year as it tends to get glopped up with cat hair and corn fallout running constantly. Whatever fan you choose to buy (unless its this one as it has my seal of approval) make sure you listen to it running as their advertising means less than nothing.

What other options are there for door frame mounted fans? It would be nice to find something that had some power but didn't look so ugly. Not that the ENTREEAIR is pretty but the triangle with curve on the 3rd side seems to look nicer than a square.

Try an electronics surplus store. We have a local one (Minneapolis) and they have lots of muffin fans, various sizes, good prices.

Muffin is just one type of fan, usually used in electronics. Generally they are quiet, use very little electricity, are small, and move lots of air. I think direction depends on which way you get the best air movement.

Well,

Thanks for all the responses. I work in electronics. I have access to literally tons of 12VDC fans. Some are quiet, some not. I wanted to go AC due to not having to use a transformer. I was just about to scrounge something else from the surplus store. http://surpluscenter.com BTW (Great place). When I stopped in to one of my local stove shops. They had a unit in a doorway just like I wanted. I asked the lady there if I could turn it on to see how loud it was. She said "It is on". I was shocked. This thing is silent. I didn't like the price tag but I figure keeping LOML happy is worth the $40.00 price. And I had it installed in about 5 minutes.

Brand is Imperial. Called General Purpose Fan. (sound efficient) http://imperialgroup.ca looks like about a 4"size
Comes with mounting bracket, 12' cord with in-line switch
Rating label says:
3000RPM, 110VAC, 60 cycles, 22watt, .24A, 105CFM at free flow.

So for now my problem is solved.

Thanks again,
---Nailer---

I just want to add my voice to Driz to say, stay away from ENTREAIR ( ENTREEAIR for future search purposes) from Suncourt.
It looks nice, although I would prefer a dark color, but it is NOISY, very NOISY.
If you think your pellet stove fan is loud then you wont like the noise on this one.
I got one today at Canadian Tire, and it will be returned tomorrow.
No way I am going to put up with that noise.

This leads me on a quest for a quiet silent fan that can do at least 100CFm.

Nailed_nailer can you please provide a link to the fan that you are using?
I need something with grids on it because I have a cat that likes to be nosy. :)

nailed_nailer said:
I'd like to get a couple of 120VAC 4" or so muffin type fans to use for distribution fans in my house.

I purchased 2 165CFM 5" 7-blade 120VAC fans last week but they run way to loud. I took a shot in a surplus catalog. The high end was 600CFM and the low end was 24CFM. I went with the 165 figuring they would work. Guess I was wrong. That was $50.00 wasted

I plan on putting them in the corners of the entry between our kitchen and living room (stove location).

Can someone recommend a good quiet fan? Or what are you all using?

Thanks,
---Nailer---

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...ch&search_type=keyword&QueryString=muffin+fan

nailed_nailer said:
Funny,

That is what I had envisioned as me making with the surplus fans. For the price tag I'd think the HD corner fan would be quieter.

Thanks for looking.

---Nailer---

It isn't. It is a noisy little not move much air sucker. I bought one last year.

BrotherBart said:
nailed_nailer said:
Funny,

Thanks for looking.

---Nailer---

It isn't. It is a noisy little not move much air sucker. I bought one last year.

Did you find a good alternative?
I got one today and it is going back tomorrow... :)

Pook said:
moving cold air to heatsource is more effective
a ceiling fan,blowing upwards, will move warm air along its natural path which is to the cold areas.

My living room, which is the room I want to warm up has a ceiling fan, but when its on, the room feels colder.
I want a fan like the entree air to extract the cold air at the bottom and let the warm air come in at the top without a draft which is what makes it feel colder.

Status
Not open for further replies.