Looking for new wood only furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PENNSYLVANIABOB

Hearth Supporter
Oct 2, 2009
WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
I am looking for a new wood only furnace for my home. Total area to heat approx.2800 sq.ft ranch,basement and first floor.I have been researching the Englander 28-3500, Firechief fc700 and Ashley(us stove)1602. Due to the fact that I only have about $2000.00 to work with and the location of Tractor supply and the Home Deport to my home I am leaning towards the Englander or the Ashley.Any input or opinions would be helpful.Thank you for your time.

For what it's worth, I wish I would have spent the extra money right away and gotten an EPA wood furnace like the Caddy or Yukon-Eagle. They burn cleaner and longer than non-EPA furnaces.

well for the record the yukon is NOT epa approved/certified furnace ...the caddy is though

Sorry, guess I should have said a furnace that has secondary burn.

Make sure you look at the Blaze King Apex. A bit more than you want to spend but boy do they work good! Only a couple of users on this site (new furnace) and they might cost a little more than you want to spend though I think you would make up the difference in the amount of wood you wouldn't have to burn to stay warm.

My two biggest concerns of my furnace are 1) The cleanliness of the flue. Sweeping it isn't hard, but I sure would like to go through a year of burning without worrying that I have creosote in the liner. 2) Smoke emmission. I have houses on three of the lots next to me. Although they've never said anything about smoke, I would like to not have to worry that they are grumbling about me.

I use dry wood and try to operate using proper burning techniques, but you can only do so much without having some kind of afterburn system.

You can't go wrong with the Englander. If you burn it hot, it will treat you well. By the way, it's now $899 at Farm and Fleet. Check out their website for you skeptics.

Status
Not open for further replies.