Looking for non epa compliant wood burning stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People go both ways. If you have a short or oversize diameter chimney, especially if it is external to the house, or several 90* bends in the pipe, you will probably want to go double wall. If you have a straight up chimney directly above the stove and most of it is inside the heated building envelope then you can probably go with the single wall, assuming there are no other issues that would keep you from doing so (like clearance to combustibles)

I prefer single wall because it recovers more heat from the flue temps and puts that heat into the room. I don't like to have flue temps above 400 degrees.

I prefer single wall because it recovers more heat from the flue temps and puts that heat into the room. I don't like to have flue temps above 400 degrees.
Might depend on the stove. BK will tell you their flue temps are so low, you almost need to go double-wall to keep sufficient heat in the flue.

Yes, there's a difference in heating with a wood cook stove and a modern EPA non-cat or cat stove. Regardless of the woodstove, ultimately it depends on the temp near the cap. Installations vary a lot, but the main factor is whether there is an interior or exterior chimney. Exterior chimneys stay cleaner with more heat because the flue gases cool down quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.