Looking for replacement door gasket material

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
We have a Marathon Logwood boiler and the door gasket is leaking. We got the largest gasket material the local wood stove shop had (7/8") but its no where near large enough. I cant find anywhere on the internet that sells large gaskets by the foot (dont need a 75 ft roll) and we arent sure what size it takes. I emailed the company but got no response.

Anyone know what size it takes and where to get it??

Thanks

~ Phil

Reactions: cheechblu
I bought the high density rope door gasket from Patriot supply for my EKO. The door seal channel only measures 1" but like you the local supply store didn't have anything strong enough to fill the channel. The part number for the seal at Patriot Supply is: Item # 114HDBR.

Hi Guys thanks, I didnt even realize they made square gasket material. Ill re-measure the opening and give them a call.

Merry Christmas!

~ Phil

The stuff I bought was round but by the time I got it stuffed into the door channel it looked like it was square. The "high density" part is what makes it different from the stuff at Ace Hardware. Also the 1 1/4" rope that I bought is in layers and if the rope is too big you can probably pull off the outer layer which is 1" diameter. As a side note: the shipping will probably be higher than the cost of the rope. Mine was.

FYI just an update the website for Patriot is http://www.patriot-supply.com/ need the dash in the name.

I measured the channel on my door for the gasket and its 1 1/8" wide. Patriot only has 1" and 1 1/4" rope, Not sure which I should get, will 1 1/4" squeeze in snugly or should I get the 1". We tried 7/8" round rope and it was too small....

Here is the page with all the boiler ropes they have that I could find.

http://www.patriot-supply.com/search.cfm?q=BOILER+ROPE&search=Go

~ Phil

mpilihp said:
FYI just an update the website for Patriot is http://www.patriot-supply.com/ need the dash in the name.

I measured the channel on my door for the gasket and its 1 1/8" wide. Patriot only has 1" and 1 1/4" rope, Not sure which I should get, will 1 1/4" squeeze in snugly or should I get the 1". We tried 7/8" round rope and it was too small....

Here is the page with all the boiler ropes they have that I could find.

http://www.patriot-supply.com/search.cfm?q=BOILER+ROPE&search=Go

~ Phil

I used the 1 1/4". The one inch will seem real wimpy or sloppy in your door channel if the channel is as deep as it is wide. The 1 1/4" should fit nicely and really would make me wonder if it was big enough. MAKE SURE you get the "HD" (high density) and not the "LD" (low density) unless your channel is flat (1/2 as deep or less & also where you might need to use a flat and 1" wide rope) compared to the channel width. The tighter the rope fits into the channel the better the seal will be. The channel on my door is 7/8" but the 1 1/4" tucked into it. I kept my old gasket and placed it in the lower chamber of my gassifier where the flame from the gassifier burned out all the old creosote. The old gasket looks and feels strong enough to use again. If it is strong enough it will be the third time I use it. I cleaned it once before with a propane torch and about an hour of time.

Thaniks, I ordered the HD 1 1/4" ver hopefully it will stop the wifting of smoke we get occasionally when we first turn it on.

~ Phil

The company that makes the boiler I have recommends using a graphite oil or wd40 to saturate the gasket once you are ready to fire your boiler and periodically after you have begun to use the boiler. I never used it on my wood furnace but I have found it helpful with my boiler and it may help with your seepage problem. ???

hi Cave2k thanks for the tip, ill try it dry first and if needed try some wd40 on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.