Looking for some information

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hillfolk

Jan 25, 2009
northeastern oklahoma
Hello everyone!!! We have recently purchased a used Ashley wood stove model AHS1b manufactured in 1987 I think but am not sure. I was just wondering where I could find some information on this stove. It is a very nice wood stove it has a large glass in the front for veiwing the fire. It also has a catalytic thing on it but, I do not know much about it. Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

I don't believe those have been made for many, many moons so don't know where you might find information, nor am I familiar with this stove. However, you can almost bet the cat would need to be replaced.

btw, we heated with an Ashley for many years and were satisfied....mostly. However, when we bought the Fireview soapstone stove in 2007, it cut our fuel useage by a lot and the house is much, much warmer. The newer stoves are just so much more efficient that it is hard to believe. In a year like we are having now we would have used around 7 cords, but we'll probably use right around 3 this year. Perhaps just a little over 3, depending on what type of spring we have. Last year we just kept on heating well into May. Hopefully, spring will come early this year.

Good luck.

Backwoods Savage said:
I don't believe those have been made for many, many moons so don't know where you might find information, nor am I familiar with this stove. However, you can almost bet the cat would need to be replaced.

btw, we heated with an Ashley for many years and were satisfied....mostly. However, when we bought the Fireview soapstone stove in 2007, it cut our fuel useage by a lot and the house is much, much warmer. The newer stoves are just so much more efficient that it is hard to believe. In a year like we are having now we would have used around 7 cords, but we'll probably use right around 3 this year. Perhaps just a little over 3, depending on what type of spring we have. Last year we just kept on heating well into May. Hopefully, spring will come early this year.

Good luck.

I'm at approximately the same latitude as you.

My interest is piqued on your stove.

As for our location, we are close to Saginaw.

As for the stove, we looked at Woodstock stoves many years ago and really wanted one but, our budget was not is too great of shape at the time and we got a fantastic buy on the Ashley, which was basically new. But, had I known then what I know now, I'd have went into debt to get it!

We always used 5-6 cords per winter on a regular basis. I think the worst was about 7 1/2 cords and the best was that one winter with only around 4 cords. Last year we put the stove in and a new SS chimney. This is our only source of heat as we have no furnace. We burn soft maple, white ash, elm and cherry with an occasional oak or something else that we just cut to get out of our way. Last season we burned 2.95 cords of wood. It would have been much less, but you remember that last spring we just kept having to get the stove going on into May. I figured it just a week or two ago and we have burned over 1 1/2 cords so far this season. But the best is that it is so much warmer in the house.

I could go on and on about this stove so forgive me if I get a little windy. One thing I always wondered about was what they called a "soft heat" with the soapstone. What? Heat is heat, isn't it? Well, yes, but we did learn what the soft heat is and there is a big difference. I can get this baby cooking to 600 degrees or more and stand right next to it where I could not with a steel stove. Another thing is that we have a plastic runner, like is used in offices around desks. We cut it and use it at the entry door, which is across from the stove. Before, I could not put my bare feet on that thing. Now, it feels good to put my feet on it.

And heat rises too! And we built our hearth 16" high, so the stove is up quite a bit. The bottom of the firebox door is only at 10," which is why we wanted the hearth built up. It works like a charm and there is no problem with cold floor like we used to have.

Again, I could go on and on, and have with many posts here. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them either here or via PM or email. I have no connection to Woodstock other than they have been a fantastic company to deal with.

That being said, I'll also throw out a caution. You absolutely must have dry wood to get the most out of any stove, but with a cat. stove, it is a definite must to have dry wood. We have about a 7 year supply on hand so do not worry about that problem too much. lol

One thing I've already learned here, i that I burn too much wood with too much MC.

I looked up your stove and at this point it won't help because I'm set up for an insert. We had the fireplace rebuilt for it. The mason took the first one down that he built because he said it wasn't good enough!

Ramble on Dude. I read it and learn. So never fear. :)

BTW, out latitude is almost identical. I'm in Waterloo, Ontario. Google maps puts us nearly on the same lat.

Well wood is not a problem where I live. I can't keep up with the deadfalls and ice storm damage. I haven't cut a green tree in at least 5 years except to get them out of the way so I could access the dead ones. Sure cutting less is always better but just leaving the deadfalls creates a fire hazard too close to the house for my liking. I've never really figured exactly how much wood I burn in a year as I cut as needed after starting with a cord or so before the first cold snap. I'd guess less than 5 cord per season.

I can guarantee that the catalytic combustor is not working as part of it is outside. What I'd like to find are some diagrams on how it is supposed to be set up as I recieved it disassembled and don't see how it could go together with the pieces I received. Maybe a section or two is missing but I can't really say. What I have is in good condition and looks as if it would work if could I figure out how to set it all up. I'm not sure it would make the stove work any better as the set up is different than other catalytics I've seen. The smoke is drawn from the front of the stove near the glass and goes into a smaller chamber. Where the catalytic pieces fit I don't know but would guess either at the opening or somewhere near the flue opening. Without them the smoke is still drawn into the chamber and stays in the stove longer than normal.

We also have a Vermont Castings Intrepid II but though rated for our home size it is unequal to the task hence the purchase of a larger stove that functions in a more straightforward manner with a large firebox area. We started with a Wonderwood years ago and knew that a stove of that size would work even though it was rated for approximately the same square footage as the Intrepid. The Intrepid was 3 years old when purchased and may not be working like it should but it didn't even come close to heating a 1000 sq/ft area.

relic, if my memory was still working, I'd lead you to a recent post where someone has a Fireview in a fireplace opening and it really looks nice.

Waterloo, we aren't that far from each other.

Backwoods Savage said:
relic, if my memory was still working, I'd lead you to a recent post where someone has a Fireview in a fireplace opening and it really looks nice.

Waterloo, we aren't that far from each other.

Yep, we're quite handy to each other and I'm a hunter and fisherman as well. American, too.

I would like to see that post you mentioned.

Hillfolk, if wood is never a problem, you've got it made.

You'll be able to sort it all out with the people here, I'm sure.

This isn't the one I was looking for but is a start:

Fireview

Just scroll down a bit and you'll see it.

I only deer hunt any more here and never took to fishing.

Fireview

This is the one I was looking for. I was sure it was Chief that had his installed really nice.

relic said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Hillfolk, if wood is never a problem, you've got it made.

You'll be able to sort it all out with the people here, I'm sure.

Well never is a mighty strong word. I've been mudded out of the woods (you can always carry armfulls at a time) and been unable to enter the woods due to dangerous ice loads on overhead limbs, but I cut more than enough wood out of the five miles of dirt roads between my house and the nearest blacktop that not entering the woods wasn't a problem and I didn't have to wait on the county to clear me or anyone else a trail out.

I live within 50 foot of my woodlot and with two icestorms in the past eight years, the third predicted for tomorrow , I simply have had tons of wood go to waste because I couldn't use it fast enough. You guys are probably wood cutting machines compared to myself, I don't even own a woodsplitter (well other than the old fashioned non hydraulic type) and have no problem keeping up with our wood needs. I want a wood shed full of wood but it just isn't required around Oklahoma. It was 72 degrees day before yesterday and actually too hot for wood cutting.

Now this is getting interesting for me.

I'm on the same latitude as Pyro Ex and you're an Okie. So am I. I was born and raised near Bartlesville.

Backwoods Savage said:
Fireview

This is the one I was looking for. I was sure it was Chief that had his installed really nice.

Thanks! It looks pretty sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.