looking for some insight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Lesueur

Nov 26, 2013
Alamosa, CO
I am looking into purchasing a Federal Air tight model FA288CCL. It was bought in 1985 fir $2200 and has only had one owner. He has never used coal only wood in it. It does not have a blower but is set up so that one may be added. The man said he used it as only heat source in his house with -40 temps and had great success but has since moved to a smaller house and it is to much stove. He is asking $600 and I am looking for some insight to if this is a good model and if this is a resonable price.

I almost bought one in 1985. And the price was $1,200 list price. Not $2,200. Forever grateful that I bought a different stove given the poor track record the stoves had. A very few people used them for years without major problems. A very few.

Buy a new "value" stove like Drolet, Englander or Century Hearth new and for not much more money.

Reactions: Lee Lesueur
I have sold a few mid 90's Dutchwest's for $400-$500. I'd pass for sure!

I almost bought one in 1985. And the price was $1,200 list price. Not $2,200. Forever grateful that I bought a different stove given the poor track record the stoves had. A very few people used them for years without major problems. A very few.

Buy a new "value" stove like Drolet, Englander or Century Hearth new and for not much more money.
thank you for the info I did more looking and did pass on the stove.

Agreed, $2200 in 85' seems like a typo. $600 seems a little steep for an out of date, nearly 30 yr old stove.

black friday shopping might get him something cheaper with deep discounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.