Looking for some new headgear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
I use this -Had it since '94 or so.The swivel part that the earmuffs were attached to finally broke from the cold/sun exposure several years ago,I just use washable corded earplugs ever since.When felling I go without ear protection though - want to be able to hear any cracking/sudden changes + how the saw is running.The flap at the back keeps rain,snow,chips,bugs & dirt off my neck.Its like a sauna in warm weather,but I'm used to it.

Attachments

• PICT0078.JPG
    PICT0078.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 115
  • PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 115
  • PICT0035.JPG
    PICT0035.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 110
I have a Husky hat/helmet. I bought it with my saw along with chaps. I don't think being a clutz at any level - or being jungle cat athletic for that matter - precludes the use of safety gear with saws. Watching how these things eat oak and then looking at my thigh.... No match!!

As far as the helmet I own it is nice and serves it's purpose well but if I was to get a second I would look for a helmet with the ratcheting screw adjusting knob like my welding hood. That or I may just replace the liner on the one I have. I like the quick adjustments for putting it on over hats and what not. I typically do all my cutting in the winter and the day starts out with a heavy hat and as the saw and I warm up the hats get smaller of go away all together. The ratchet is just a nice feature. I really like the earmuffs on the hats because they make them secure even over a hat. Nothing worse that the helmet sliding over my eyes in a felling cut.

Had it since '94 or so.The swivel part that the earmuffs were attached to finally broke from the cold/sun exposure several years ago

And you still trust the helmet to do it's job? UV does a number on the plastic in the helmet too. IIRC OSHA mandates that the helmets be no older than ???? (somebody help me here.... :confused:)

And you still trust the helmet to do it's job? UV does a number on the plastic in the helmet too. IIRC OSHA mandates that the helmets be no older than ???? (somebody help me here.... :confused:)
If you look to the inside of a hard hat, usually under the rim, there will be two circles, with numbers and an arrow. In the middle of one circle will be the year of manufacture, the arrow points to the month. The other circle is numbered 1-31, arrow points to the day.
http://www.safetysuccess.net/?p=151
It is recommended that hard hats be replaced no later than every five years due to natural degradation over time. Some hard hats will need to be replaced as early as every two years especially if you work outside a considerable portion of the day since ultraviolet radiation degrades the plastic much faster than normal wear.
Crackle Test
One good test for degradation, regardless of the date of manufacture, is the “crackle test”. To perform the crackle test, hold your hard hat upside down and squeeze the sides together gently. If you hear a crackle when you do this, your hard had should be replaced because it no longer provides the level of protection that you will need in the event of impact.

I know ALL about OSHA,the rules for hardhats & what those numbers underneath the hat mean having worked heavy commercial construction for 25+ yrs.That said,the hardhat in question has received barely 5% of the exposure to the elements in that time that the ones I wear on my regular job do.Barely 20hrs per month,its stored inside the house when not in use and there was a period of almost 3 yrs straight from 2007-2010 when I did no cutting at all.Its only used for felling trees over 5" diameter,when bucking/splitting I just wear safety glasses/ ear plugs.\

And I do the crackle test with all my hardhats at least twice monthly.Employers provide new ones every 3-4 yrs or if you go to a different one.

I know ALL about OSHA,the rules for hardhats & what those numbers underneath the hat mean having worked heavy commercial construction for 25+ yrs.
I figured that was the case, made me curious as to why you still kept such an old helmet. ;)

Reactions: Thistle
I figured that was the case, made me curious as to why you still kept such an old helmet. ;)

I may be cheap (I prefer the term "frugal") but I'm no fool .That would be someone who 'reuses' corncobs,if you catch my drift....;lol

Reactions: MasterMech
Status
Not open for further replies.