Looking for suggestions for a freestanding stove in place of a ZC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pdog

Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2010
Central NJ
So we have been in the house a little over a year and have gone back and forth of what to do in terms of updating the Superior RC3810 ZC fireplace we have. Thought of an insert in the existing unit which was installed when the house was built in 1990 and decided it would be too small. Thought of also installing a new efficient ZC which could pump some heat for our 2500 sf Colonial. Would require a full rip of the brick. Now we are thinking more in line of a freestanding unit like the Oslo since we previously had a Jotul F400 and loved it.

Putting aside ripping out the old unit and brick, etc. and all that cost, we have decided we want to do this right. We feel safer with a freestanding unit even though we know the newer ZC units have been tested, etc.

With that being said, we have been thinking of having an alcove constructed and going with either the Jotul 500 or 600 if the clearances allow it. I have been reading those units seem to have ash issues when using the front door, so my fear is the unit will need to stick way out into the room requiring a much deeper hearth that we have now.

I did some searches but couldn't find many pictures of what a stove looks like on a deep hearth due to similar conditions we have. We don't mind losing some room space for the deeper hearth, but we also don't want it to look silly either. If necessary we may also look to replace the window and door (door is never used) to slimmer windows to be able to expand the width of the chase and allow the stove to fit into the opening if possible.

For now we are going to put expense aside to get ideas of what we can do and am hoping some of the experts can guide us in the right direction. Thanks guys. Here are a couple of pics and measurements I took. Chase also appears to be cantilevered so I am not sure if that impacts things due to the weight of some of these units (stove or ZC unit)

inside_zpshgtbkl6f.jpg

outside_zpsmd1gwuqe.jpg

We have a Bk ashford in a similar setup, but we have a much higher space to allow for a top vent stove. Pic in my avatar.

You will need a rear vent. I think the ideal steel and progress hybrid can be rear vent. Also the hearthstone Manchester can rear I think too. Nice looking too.

Thank you. I will take a look at those and see if the better half approves. She loved the look of the Jotuls

Check out the Jotul F55- it can be rear vented, a ton of power in a less intrusive package

How did I not look at that one. Appears to have similar clearance requirements. Thanks.

This is sort of what we were thinking. Having the stove out as much as we could to get the heat out of the alcove, yet have the piping angle back and up to be able to still utilizing the existing chase (with updated piping for sure). I need to find some good sources of info on how to construct the alcove (protected) so I can get a better idea what will fit and how it will look.

b154a72a7ef822f83d2f9d5701f75008_zps64xx30mg.jpg