Looking for thoughts and advice for new stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pellet furnaces vent exactly the same as a pellet stove.

This might be one thing I'm confused about with pellet stove vents. If I vent a pellet stove/furnace on the side of the house, instead of venting to above a roof, will I get smoke/soot/black discoloration on my siding, etc.?

michaelb said:

This might be one thing I'm confused about with pellet stove vents. If I vent a pellet stove/furnace on the side of the house, instead of venting to above a roof, will I get smoke/soot/black discoloration on my siding, etc.?

As long as its installed correctly and adheres to everything the stove manual and venting manual states. Then no, you shouldnt get any soot.

My Quad is pretty close to the house. 4th season, no nothing.. But mayne some noticeable ash. But I have brick pavers stacked up on each side of the vent (helps hold my leafblower for cleaning). So the ash kinda builds up inbetween the 2 stacks.

If the stove is dirty/plugged or you are operating it incorrectly, then you will get some possible sooting. But if installed right, kept clean, operated correctly, and maintenance done on a regular basis, then you will be fine.

Lots of stoves are just shot straight out the wall, and barely meet min specs and have no problems.

michaelb said:

Properly vented and maintained no, improperly vented or improperly maintained it can get things sooted up.

Status
Not open for further replies.