Looking for wood furnace damper part name or stock number

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ibby

Mar 19, 2023
BC Canada
New here, I have a wood furnace and I'm looking for a spare intake damper. The current one is a 4 bolt unit that attaches to the front of the furnace. I've Googled a ton to find one, but I found only 1 pic of the part I'm looking for, and it was on an old thread on this forum. I can find similar dampers that sit in line, but not the surface mount model I'm after. I've included the pic I found here. Any help finding a name or part number for this would be very helpful. Thank you.
air flow control valve with bimetal spring (1).jpg

Never seen one like that before...what's it on, exactly?
Looks like it has a thermostatic aspect to it?

It's on a forced air wood furnace that came with the house I bought. It's home made, it looks like an RSF 101 that has been enclosed in a welded steel box with a Delhi 90 blower motor. It heats the house and garage on 2 different forced air circuits. It's very well made for a home made system. On the front of the welded box below the RSF door is this damper. I haven't removed it from the furnace to look for a part number. I'll do that in the spring when the furnace is off. This damper does have a bimetal spring in it, but it is normally spring loaded closed. A 24 volt servo connects to the damper with a chain. When heat is called by the thermostat in the house the servo pulls the chain which opens the damper. When the furnace got overly hot with the door cracked the damper spring expanded and stayed in the open position, which just helped feed the fire. I forced it closed until the furnace had cooled off quite a bit, at which time the spring had cooled and reset to its normal position. I overhauled this furnace system last year and picked up spare parts for the entire system except this damper. I'd really like to find one, or even the key words that would work in Google to find one. The only pic I could find on the Internet came from this forum.

From the picture of the damper in the old thread, it looks like it was on a RSF Opel 3 fireplace.

I found an exploded parts diagram of the RSF Opel Plus 2C & 3C fireplace here

From that diagram, it looks like the part is called the draft control assembly with part# FR-99.07.02.PC

It looks like you may still be able to get an earlier version of it here?
(Part# "FR-99.07.01.P" vs. Part# "FR-99.07.02.PC"

Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Reactions: sloeffle
Wow thanks! I've been searching for weeks and this is a much better find than I've been able to get. I'll see if I can find one now, but it looks like the part might be obsolete. I may have to change to a newer style. I do hope to find a spare just for easy interchangeability. Thanks again for discovering this and passing it on!

I may have to change to a newer style.
Maybe a bimetal spring regulator...these are used on quite a few different stoves out there...here is one that was retrofitted.
I know that some Amish use these regulators to operate PSG Caddy wood furnaces without electric...supposedly works pretty well, as long as the house can be heated with gravity heat. (no electric, so no duct blower)

Last edited:
The bimetal spring in the RSF intake doesn't actually do anything except hold the draft closed. When the thermostat wants heat the 24vdc transformer sends power to a servo that lifts the intake lever on a chain opening the draft. It's a simple little part, but it's low profile which I'd like to keep. The duct dampers from Home Depot would fit in with minimal issue, but I'd like to keep this furnace original if possible. It works like a charm the way its set up. I'm just after a spare damper just in case. I'm pretty rural and with all the snow this year getting into town isn't always easy. The help here has been amazing, I was getting ready to put in a different damper.

Reactions: sloeffle
New here, I have a wood furnace and I'm looking for a spare intake damper. The current one is a 4 bolt unit that attaches to the front of the furnace. I've Googled a ton to find one, but I found only 1 pic of the part I'm looking for, and it was on an old thread on this forum. I can find similar dampers that sit in line, but not the surface mount model I'm after. I've included the pic I found here. Any help finding a name or part number for this would be very helpful. Thank you.View attachment 311212
RSF runs under the name Ardent Energy now. There is a metal shop here in Ontario, in Drayton that builds them. You can find them on the interweb...ardentenergy.ca
Also dealers to the west.
This looks like a twin to the damper on an ardent HF85 that i am refurbishing

It is a great damper, I like the low profile of it. The inlet ducting doesn't stick out much at all. I've found several Canadian dealers who stock this part. Easy to find once you know just what to look for. The HF85 looks very similar to my furnace, I believe it's an RSF 101 model, same door. It's tough to tell, the furnace itself is encased in a big welded steel box.