Looking for wood insert advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

xxfonziexx

Nov 13, 2021
PA
Hi, I'm a new guy here looking for advice. You probably get that a lot...
I'm looking to replace a fireplace with a woodstove insert, and I know next to nothing about what I'm looking for.

The fireplace: 31" wide X 25" tall opening. 26" deep, 24" wide at the rear.

The house: Originally a ranch that has been added to. Single main floor, with a large basement under most of it. The basement is ground level on one side.
Roughly 2800-2900 ft^2 for the ground floor of the house. The finished portion of the basement (one big room) is around 1600-1700 ft^2.
The fireplace in the finished basement is rarely used, and I figure I could make it practical and get a lot more use out of it with an insert.

I have oil heat with a mix of baseboards and forced hot air. I'm hoping I can run the woodstove insert to supplement that and cut down my oil usage.

I checked out a shop near me this morning and they have the Quadrafire Expedition II. It looks nice and the specs seem reasonable.

I'm also looking at the website for the Regency Classic I2450, and I like that it sticks out into the room a bit compared to the flush fit on the Quadrafire.

Any advice on stoves to look at, better options, or any reason to go with the Regency or Quadrafire compared to the other?

I would recommend the Regency, but you might consider going up to a 3 cu ft insert if there is a nearby stairwell that the heat can convect hot air up the stairs easily. Are the basement walls insulated? If not, then definitely look at putting a larger insert in. The Osburn 3500, Pacific Energy Summit, Buck 91, Lopi Large NexGen inserts are worth looking at.

The fireplace chimney will need a 6" stainless liner. How well does the fireplace work as a fireplace? Does it draft well?

Dry firewood is very important for modern stoves. They need fully seasoned firewood to perform as advertised.

I would recommend the Regency, but you might consider going up to a 3 cu ft insert if there is a nearby stairwell that the heat can convect hot air up the stairs easily. Are the basement walls insulated? If not, then definitely look at putting a larger insert in. The Osburn 3500, Pacific Energy Summit, Buck 91, Lopi Large NexGen inserts are worth looking at.

The fireplace chimney will need a 6" stainless liner. How well does the fireplace work as a fireplace? Does it draft well?

Dry firewood is very important for modern stoves. They need fully seasoned firewood to perform as advertised.
Thanks for the quick reply! The stairs are right near the fireplace, so I'm hoping to get some good heat movement up to the main floor. I can also use the forced hot air blower to help circulate around the main floor. I'll definitely check out those other recommendations, and the same place near me with the Regency also carries the PE Summit (which also looks good).

The fireplace works well as a fireplace, and hasn't had any problem drafting, which I took as a good sign for a stove conversion.

I have a good pile of well aged hardwood here from trees that have come down over the past years. I just took down 4 LARGE ash trees, so as that dries I'm going to be well supplied for a while too. 😁

Good recommendations above. If you want to spend less money I just installed a Drolet 1800i my self. Great value in my opinion. It’s drafting too well on 24’ of insulated liner. 3 rd fire no reloads yet.

Evan

Stove inventories are at all-time lows. At this stage of the game you may be on the phone a lot seeking something in stock.