Looking for woodstove insert manufacturer that doesn't have all the flat black front.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeffjohnvol

Feb 6, 2016
East Tennessee
Hi. I hate to be one of those "what should I buy" noobs, but I have done "some" research.

We have a wood burning fireplace (a prebuilt insert) that is surrounded by stone. I'd prefer a free standing wood stove, but for space reasons, I need it to be in the fireplace, thus a woodstove insert that is attractive and puts out lots of heat (yeah, duh). The problem is, most that we see online in our searches have ugly flat black surrounds 12 inches in all directions. I know some like that, but the missus and can't stand it.

Is there someone out there that makes attractive, large window stoves without all the sea of black surround? Plus, since we aren't getting the benefit of radiant heat that a free standing woodstove gets, something with a quiet blower would be nice as well.

This is for auxilliary heat (not primary) and our house is about 2K square feet. The opening of the insert is 21" tall, 36" wide, and 24" deep. We don't hate "all" black, just don't want it to be a sea of black.

Thanks in advance.

The first step is to identify the make and model of the ZC fireplace. Then check the manual to see if an insert is permitted for installation into it. Many older units specifically do not permit this, but some do.

The first step is to identify the make and model of the ZC fireplace. Then check the manual to see if an insert is permitted for installation into it. Many older units specifically do not permit this, but some do.

Yes, that will part of our process. And you're correct, it should be done first. I believe it was added in the early 2000's. We're just trying to browse online for a good manufacturer/model, and then to find a local professional to order it through and install, if the ZC allows for it.

Yes, that will part of our process. And you're correct, it should be done first. I believe it was added in the early 2000's. We're just trying to browse online for a good manufacturer/model, and then to find a local professional to order it through and install, if the ZC allows for it.
Before finding an insert you like find out if an insert is an option. Very fer zero clearance fireplaces allow for inserts. Look on the inner edge of the fireplace frame that is usually where the label is