Looking for XL; Sun Door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

royrizzle

Jan 31, 2015
Cent. WI
I ' ve been looking for a xl, searched michigan CL and all over the country,but no luck though .

I saw your ads, looking for a sunburst door right? The one I got has fir trees and nickel. I'm no expert but from what I've read the fir trees are the late models. It has ball legs not the bear legs.

Looking for the sun door design. I believe there were two designs for the xl . The sun door and fir trees. Anyway I saw one on CL last year in Michigan and it was 34 1/2 " across and 29 1/2 deep. I believe it was the fir tree design . Totally the goliath of wood stoves . Some even had a 10 " flue collar.

One I got has 10" flue, it's a monster. I can't find a 10" to 6" reducer. My humble belief is that surface area is the key to heat unless your trying to burn wet newspapers. This xl has the stainless screen too.

You know i have to ask . Where did you purchase it and for how much ? These stoves I guess were only made in Salt Lake City Utah. The one I saw in Michigan was near Manistee, I beleive. And yes surface area is key.

And yes surface area is key.
Sorry guys but surface area is one tiny part of it

One I got has 10" flue, it's a monster. I can't find a 10" to 6" reducer
Again are you seriously thinking of trying to reduce a 10" vent down to 6" there is no way whatsoever that that will work right

Again are you seriously thinking of trying to reduce a 10" vent down to 6" there is no way whatsoever that that will work right

Why not? My ex-wife's uncle's neighbor's Grandpa did. >>

Reactions: bholler
One I got has 10" flue, it's a monster. I can't find a 10" to 6" reducer. My humble belief is that surface area is the key to heat unless your trying to burn wet newspapers. This xl has the stainless screen too.
I believe it was located in Copemish , MI. The only downfall with these stoves is the 10'' flue collar. I ' ve heard of someone actually torching the 10 '' collar out, welding the back shut and putting a 8 '' flue collar out of the top of the stove.

The only downfall with these stoves is the 10'' flue collar. I ' ve heard of someone actually torching the 10 '' collar out, welding the back shut and putting a 8 '' flue collar out of the top of the stove.
Ok as far as old stoves go fishers are pretty well designed. If they put a 10" collar on there is is because the box needs a 10" vent. It does not matter if you reduce it with a reducer or by changing the collar it wont work right. You will most likly get smoke back lots of other problems.

They don't make reducers for nothing. Don't be a buzz kill
Ok reducing by 2" for one is against code in most areas and by reducing that much you are reducing the volume so much chances are it wont work. Yes the velocity will increase but not enough to compensate. I am not being a buzz kill i am being realistic i have been doing this a long time and have worked on allot of stoves most of the time reducing by 2" does not turn out well. And he origonally was talking about going to 6" from 10" which there is no way that will work. According to coaly on another thread going down to 8" will probably work with xls but down to 6 no way They also make magic heat creosote factories and draft inducer fans an all kinds of stuff that has no place in a wood stove chimney either. I am curious what space this monster is going into?

Last edited:
I believe it was located in Copemish , MI. The only downfall with these stoves is the 10'' flue collar. I ' ve heard of someone actually torching the 10 '' collar out, welding the back shut and putting a 8 '' flue collar out of the top of the stove.
I know the guy in Copemish who I believe made this stove...He's still around actually..Copemish MI is a really small town....gave me tips on the Fisher I hooked up tonight...old, old thread...don't know if anyone is around who really cares about it anymore....

Oh, we care celtic doll !! Do you mean he was a Fisher welder or licensee? Camfan on this Forum was a welder at Fisher Stoves S.E. in Georgia. Always looking to compare how things were done between fabricators. They really had little communication with each other.

The issue with reducing on the XL is the door opening height being higher than the other solid door models. The double door stoves work well reduced from 8 to 6 since firebox size isn't any larger than the Papa Bear size box that was made with 6 inch. They were made with the larger vent for open door burning with screen in place. The XL made as "The Restaurant" stove has a higher arched opening and larger screen for a larger fire viewing area. The opening height compared to the outlet is the key to smoke roll in issues. It will certainly hinder performance in the high output range, but most stoves don't need to run in that range. If you're looking for the max heating area of 3000 sf I'd only reduce to 8.

This picture of the back of mine shows the low height of outlet compared to doors;
XL 4.jpg

I'll clip this XL discussion from the original All Nighter thread and move to the Fisher Forum.

I ' ve been looking for a xl, searched michigan CL and all over the country,but no luck though .

This one is not the original finish if you're looking for original;

XL Replated 10 9-17-2011.jpg

The texture of raised areas is not machined smooth before plating;

XL Mt Crawford VA ebay UT 9428 11-3-12.jpg Original finish # UT 9428

XL 9.jpg #UT 11469

If a guy was to move one of these XL behemoths with a appliance dolly, would putting the dolly underneath the stove be OK? I have to get one out of a basement with minimal manpower and noticed some kind of heat shield. Thinking about putting a piece of 2 x 6 on the bottom of the dolly lip and putting the back legs on 2 x 6 then strapping to cart and carrying with back of stove to face of cart. Got a wide set of stairs going for me on this move. I would if the right guys were available just strap the bugger and carry it up the stairs but, my A teams not available.

If a guy was to move one of these XL behemoths with a appliance dolly, would putting the dolly underneath the stove be OK? I have to get one out of a basement with minimal manpower and noticed some kind of heat shield. Thinking about putting a piece of 2 x 6 on the bottom of the dolly lip and putting the back legs on 2 x 6 then strapping to cart and carrying with back of stove to face of cart. Got a wide set of stairs going for me on this move. I would if the right guys were available just strap the bugger and carry it up the stairs but, my A teams not available.
good luck with that lol

To set it on a dolly, shim between the stove bottom and shield with wood to make it solid.

I would not keep it on wheels on the steps or ramp without strap and come along or winch of some type. That's what I use. 2 X 8 or 10's like a ramp and winch to something solid at top.
I took larger than that up steps by myself that way and never lift. Boilers and cookstoves are much heavier. Remove doors and brick and they aren't bad.

With fancy feet, the legs are safe on a pallet or skid. You may have to cut holes to set them down into and strap. I have a bucket of black iron pipes about a foot long I put under like rollers. With long planks you can cross muddy yards and winch into truck or trailer.

XL side view.JPG

Here's an 800 lb Kitchen Queen on special built pallet that I put pipe rollers under the "rails". 3/4 plywood on uneven ground at bottom of ramp. Pipe rollers are not in picture, but the winch is on the left.

Bottom of ramp.JPG

You go slow, don't be in a hurry and let the cable or chain keep it safe.

On Deck On Dolly.JPG On deck, 8 feet high, putting on dolly to get over threshold. Remove pallet when putting into final position.

Blocking at Bottom Shield 2.JPG Once on level floor, remove from pallet and go with dolly. (or if you're in house removing, start with dolly and go to pallet for steps or ramp). Here is blocking to take weight between shield and stove bottom.

This stove was so heavy, I rolled it over plywood on tile floor to span the weight ! Close to 1000 lbs. with doors, brick, warming shelf, water tank. I had it down to about 800. I'm 160.

Moving into position 1.JPG That is one of the planks to slide up steps. Wood on wood on steep ramps and steps.

Another trick tilting your stove up on pallets or lifting is a 2 X 6 through the door and block tight inside so you have a 6 foot lever sticking out. Rear vents are easier with the 2 X 6 sticking out as as lever to lift and steer them.
These are actually easy compared to steam engines, traction engines and rollers I play with. :)

Here's an 800 lb Kitchen Queen on special built pallet that I put pipe rollers under the "rails". 3/4 plywood on uneven ground at bottom of ramp. Pipe rollers are not in picture, but the winch is on the lef
Yeah cook stoves are a real pain to move because of the shape they just dont fit on the stove cart right and good ones are really pushing the 800 pound limit on ours. We usually end up doing similar to what you did building ramps and dollys ect

Thanks for the the pictures Coaly , its a honor. Was there a fir tree design to the XL too ?

Yes, they are not all "sun" doors and not as rare.

Here's an article that mentions Bob Fisher incorporating solar products into his line of products, the reason for the Sun Door;
It mentions a new design coming for the Grandma, but obviously it was made for the XL in limited quantities;
http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...=6830,6934988&dq=fisher+stove+guarantee&hl=en

XL Bozeman Montana 700 CL.jpg This one sold for $700 in Bozeman Montana.

eBay 12-2013 2.jpg You'll find them like this listed as a Grandpa or Papa........... They look like a grandpa with fireplace Legs. But if there is a picture with doors open, the arched top of opening gives it away. Grandma and Grandpa with solid doors have a rectangular opening - horizontal across the top;

XL 1-2015.jpg XL arched opening and arched door sealing channel iron.

Also count the bricks across the back if there is a good pic;

XL in Kanab Utah ebay 2.jpg This one was in Kanab Utah close to where they were made. It was on eBay. Grandpa only has 6 bricks across back and bottom.

Many people don't know what they have, so you have to watch for measurements claiming a 34 inch or wider width. Grandpa is only 29 1/2 wide.
Many will have a 10 X 8 reducer so they will be advertised as an 8 inch outlet. Very few know they have an XL, so that's not always a good keyword to search with. You have to look at every Fisher Stove, Fisher Woodburner, Fisher Woodburning Stove, even Fisher Fireplace, you never know what term a seller may use.

I'll let you know if I see one. Other than this one for $3000. I don't think you want to go that much, do you?

weyers cave VA XL $3000.jpg !!!

Interesting , I ' m only 34 , I 'm sure I ' ll find one someday . No hurry . Is that your personal collection Coaly , the six stove pic ? I still have to try out my first " Papa Bear " I picked up last Monday . Needs nothing . Still has Hesston Sticker and unit identification tag on the bottom . I ' ve tried searching Fisher stoves even using Fischer with a '' c '' and found a couple here and there . I've even posted wanted posters in local grocery stores in Ripon , Wisconsin close to where i live . I guess there used to be a fisher stove dealer in Ripon , could you shed some light on this Coaly .

No, that's not mine. They are in Weyers Cave Va. It shows the size difference to the Grandma III on it's right and the Grandpa at the end on the right. That's a Papa on the left, so you get the idea of the size.

I only have fabricator lists and know your licensee was "Fisher Stove Works" Box 47 Milltown WI 54858.
At first, Bob wanted the guys making the stoves to be the ones to sell them with no middle man. They were made in the shop and sold through the front showroom door. People had to travel across the state for a stove, so as they got bigger, a dealer network was set up. There were tons of dealers from hardware, plumbing, grocery, auto parts, anyone who wanted to supplement income selling stoves. You can find out who sold them by archives of your local newspaper. If not archived online, you may need to go to a local library and see if your local papers are on microfilm. You'll find advertisements from the local dealers and where they were. I've found a few that still own the business and remember moving lots of stoves. It's all worth while when you find the guy that says, "it was my dads business back then, and I think there's still a bunch of stuff back there ..........". I even heard the story "the one they used to put in the window is in the box back there" !! Someday the right person may see your posters. You never know. Don't give up !

Reactions: royrizzle
So would this qualify as a 100 % Fisher XL ?
How much would it be worth in good used condition ?
00m0m_jT58kc03wcn_600x450.jpg

Yes. Whatever it's worth to buyer and seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.