Looking into stove to complement the forced air heat in my home.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brad1138

Jan 12, 2011
Washington State
My house is 3133 square feet, and has propane forced air heat. The propane also runs the hot water heater. I turn the furnace off completely for about 6 months a year, May through October or so. I am finding I spend about $100-$120 or so a month on propane averaged over the year. I rarely turn the heat above 67 degrees. I would like to install a wood (or maybe pellet) stove down stairs in the LR, not to heat the whole house necessarily, more to occasionally warm the LR or downstairs up into the 70-80 degree range, also to help the forced air on very cold (below 20 deg F) nights/days. I might install vents between floors to help heat a few of the upstairs rooms, depends on what size stove I end up with I guess.

I am looking for advise. I am looking on Craigslist for a used wood stove and will be installing side venting. I have a few carpenter relatives that I will consult with, I am not going to just buy parts and knock a whole in my wall myself. First question is, does vinyl siding complicate things?

Are there some good resources you could point me toward, also what should I look for in a used stove. I am leaning toward wood as opposed to pellet, mainly for cost. I would just throw a couple logs in for the evening when needed.

Thanks,
Brad

First of all, a wood stove chimney needs to go all the way up...even if you go outside first. It can be very costly, so I suggest you research the total chimney cost before you go any further.

Pellet stoves use a much less expensive venting system - but buying a used pellet stove can be chancy.
First order of business - plan out chimney and budget...

I'd also decide how much effort you want to put into getting wood, putting it up, making sure it's seasoned, etc. Modern stoves need wood that's been split and stacked for a year to burn well.

And to answer your question, no, vinyl siding does not complicate things.

Welcome Brad. I feel your pro-pain, especially with a big house. Actually your bill doesn't sound so bad for a large home with propane heat. Is this with Cenex? Which side of the Cascades are you?

A stove needs planning. If at all possible try to configure the flue system on the interior of the house. It will work better, look better and usually costs a bit less. But it will cost. In a 2 story home this could be around $1500+ for parts. Used stoves are tough to find and are not supposed to be installed in new installations in this state. Better to get an appropriately sized new EPA stove and take the 2011 tax credit of 10%. If you have a fairly open floor plan and the heat can circulate well the Englander 30NC is a good place to start. You can check you local Home Depot to see if they have any. Very soon they will be clearing out inventory to make room for spring items. This stove is also sold under the Summers*Heat and TimberRidge brand.

There is a wealth of info regarding woodstove installs, chimneys, etc at the woodstock website. I think it is woodstove.com

Good luck,
Bill

BeGreen said:
Welcome Brad. I feel your pro-pain, especially with a big house. Actually your bill doesn't sound so bad for a large home with propane heat. Is this with Cenex? Which side of the Cascades are you?

I live on the west side, in Rochester, a bit south of Olympia. I use Patriot fuels, he is always $.50 to $1 a gallon less than everyone else (including Cenex). I also own my tank, a 500 gallon and make sure I fill up completely in August when it is at its cheapest. I found out that regardless of who you use, they charge about $.50/gal less if you own your tank. I have to fill it just over twice a year. I wish I had gotten a 1,000 gal, then I could get a years worth all at once in August. I have the thermostat programmed to come on to 65 degrees for 2 hours in the morning before work/school & then 67 degrees from 2:30p to 8:45p. Weekends are 66 from 7:00a to 2:00p then 67 till 9:00p. So it runs about as little as possible.

I am bummed to here about the need to vent wood stoves all the way to the roof, I saw a lot of used wood stoves on CL for ~$100-$200 was hoping I could install one with side venting, figured I could do it for not to much, guess that isn't going to happen.

Brad

Side venting is possible, just with the caveats mentioned. You really need to have good timing and know what you want to get a good stove for $200. Not saying it doesn't happen, but not every day, especially in a rural area. Lot of old stoves out there are real smoke dragons and banned in the state for new installs. Still there are some good ones, but they don't show up frequently in the middle of heating season except new at the big box stores. Online is another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.