Looking to get a Woodstock Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We love our Fireview. Bought it to replace a Franklin stove smoke dragon back in 2009. It is beautiful, easy to operate, and reliable. The folks at Woodstock offer the best customer support imaginable. My only regret is that it is not quite enough stove for my drafty old 1800 sqft house when temps drop into the teens and single digits. If the PH was available at the time, it would have been a better choice for us.

Flatbed, what do you get for higher end Stove Top Temps? Just wondering in comparison to my unit/system.

Jan 4 2014.jpg
They really are beautiful stoves...oldhippie I know I said this before but I love that brickwork. Looks good with the new stove on it too!

We couldn't get one because of the side loading. Can't do a side loader :(

Thanks so much! Having lived with the house which is really a rather modest home in comparison to so many I see today.. and the hearth, I sometimes take for granted how beautiful it is. It's in a barnboard room which adds to the ambiance too.

Last edited:
Flatbed, what do you get for higher end Stove Top Temps? Just wondering in comparison to my unit/system.

On a normal load on a cold day, I'll set the air at about 3/4 after the whole load is engulfed in flame. It will usually peak at about 600 with the cool northern lights wispy flame thing. After about an hour it will be down around 500 and stay there for a few hours. By the time it is down to a bed of coals, the stovetop temp is usually around 400. In this super cold weather I've been setting the air at about one to get more flames in the window and more radiant heat in the room. The stovetop temp stays at about 500 but the room is noticeably warmer but burn times are reduced. If I'm around, I'll leave the air wide open for the last hour or so to burn down the bed of coals so I can stuff more fresh wood in at the next reload. Reloads are every 5 or 6 hours this way as apposed to every 6 or 7 when its not extremely cold out. I know that I give up efficiency running hard like this. That is how I know that the Fireview is just a bit under-powered for our application. More than 90% of the time it is fine, but I think the PH would be much better for us..or maybe the new steel stove? As my wife points out, the house does have a very capable furnace that we can use, I, like most of us here would prefer not to use it whenever possible. When I finally build our next house.....

Steve, I think you meant you set the air at about 1/4 rather than 3/4?

Oldhippie, I got up once during the night last night and the stove top was at 680. That was I think about 2 1/2-3 hours after getting the stove set and our normal setting is a tad below 1 or we could say .75. Most times when we put wood in the stove it does not take long before the stove top is at least to 600 or more. However, if we give it just a bit more draft, like a setting of 1 or just a tad above, then the stove top won't get higher but there will be more heat coming out the front and sides of the stove.

No. I meant 3/4 or .75 just like you told me 5 years ago!;) 1/4 and it would stall in all but the coldest weather.

Reactions: Oldhippie
Owingsia,
I noticed a used fireview near your area on craigslist. (Hamptons area)
If you could bring him down a little it might be worth checking out.
Third season burning in our fireview and we love ours. Good luck.

Only thing I would do different is get a dark color. I got the light grey with the painted pipe for the first floor.
The pipe discolored almost immediately and has chipped and flaked in several areas. I don't think you would see any of this if it was black.
My door has rusted a little, but I live by the ocean. Otherwise the stove is awesome.

Reactions: Oldhippie
No. I meant 3/4 or .75 just like you told me 5 years ago!;) 1/4 and it would stall in all but the coldest weather.

Got you Steve. Thought that is what you meant. I just feared others would read this and think 3/4 open (which would be a setting of 3 on this stove) and try that. Not good as that sucker would get hot fast!

I wouldn't want anyone who likes the light gray to avoid the color. I had a Fireview for 7 years+ and have had a PH since it came out. Have light gray on both stoves, and my pipe painted to match. Have had none of the problems you mention with the pipe. It looks great...a very handsome install. Maybe the salt air is creating the issue for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.