Looking to heat my garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

qoncept

Oct 13, 2014
Iowa
I've had an old Modine natural gas furnace sitting in the garage that I've been dragging my feet on for a few years and I think I've finally decided it's not what I want. I have access to plenty of firewood and I think a stove is the best way to go simply because fuel would basically be free, but I'd like a little advice first as I have no experience with a stove.

The garage is 38x24' with (I believe) R19 insulated walls and insulated doors. The ceiling isn't insulated yet but I'll get to it eventually. I'm in Iowa, so over the winter it'll see highs typically between 20-30f and lows 0-10. I really just want to make sure it stays warm enough in the garage to keep everything from freezing and the ability to get it warm (60+) when I need to work on a car. With the firewood I'll have access to I'm not overly concerned with efficiency - if I need to keep it 70 degrees 24/7 to do what I want that's fine.

My biggest question is what to do for size and insulation. This all came about because my neighbors have a stove they're going to list on craigslist. It's a Timberline like this with a burn chamber about 18x22". Since I have no idea what that would heat I asked the neighbor and he bounced back and forth between "that's a hell of a lot of stove for that garage" and "yeah, I'd put this one in there." Is it too big? Would I be better off getting a smaller one?

Also, I've searched quite a bit and can't find a simple answer as to what I'll need for a chimney. My neighbor rattled off a handful of parts but a diagram with all of them would really help me out. Thanks in advance!

Two key points to check first:

1. Does your local building/fire code allow the installation of a solid fuel burning appliance in a garage?
2. Do you have the time and interest in constantly reloading a stove to keep the garage from freezing? You may look at 30 min of work about every 8 hours unless you get an expensive catalytic stove. Plus, a stove may need at least an hour before the garage is sufficiently warm for you to work.

I heat my house 24/7 with wood, but the garages I just turn up the thermostat on the natural gas unit heaters. I keep them above freezing all winter long and crank up the heat when I'm working in them. Natural gas bill never exceeds about $70/month for everything (24x24 garage, 28x40 garage and water heater/gas dryer in the house). My local codes (Blue earth county - MN) will not allow a solid fuel heater in any structure that you can pull a car into the same room as the heater. A wood stove would also take a long time to heat the garage from below freezing temps to something comfortable. The gas unit heaters don't take long to get from 35F to 65F.

Status
Not open for further replies.