Looking to purchase my first wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vhensler

Feb 2, 2012
Central PA
Hello,

I've been reading through the forums for a few weeks now and have been trying to determine which stove will fit my needs. I'll be heating a one story ranch home, the wood stove being located in the basement on the end of house. At the other end of basement is the stairs leading up, that is where the majority of the heat rises. There are returns cut-out in the floors of each room, and one fan driven cold return on the stair end of the house. The main living area is 1500 sqft, so essentially nearly 3000 will be heated. There is a room already walled off in the basement as an office, and I can close off the oil tank area lowering the amount of basement needing heated. We purchased the house just last October, the previous owners had a Baker coal stove in the basement and were using it as a wood stove. I have fired it a few times this winter and I love the heat, it actually is enough to keep the whole house stable and the furnace doesn't run. However, its not burning as efficient as a wood stove would and I find myself reloading it every couple hours. This was my intro into solid fuel heat and it turns out I enjoy it so its time for something more efficient. I've already been splitting truck loads of wood and stacking for next winter. I had the chimney inspected and cleaned before winter, they had recommended a new liner which I'll be doing in addition to the new stove install. The existing liner is a tile/masonry one.

Right now the basement is half finished, I'll be insulating the remaining two walls this year hopefully. I have looked at various stoves including; Harman (TL300 & TL2.0), Quadra-Fire (4300 & 5700), Buck (Model 85 & 94NC), Pacific Energy (Summit) and the Englander 30-NC. I'm trying to find something that will act as a supplement, we aren't looking to have the house roasting but would like it to help maintain the temperature. Aesthetics aren't an issue, though I want a glass door to be able to see the fire. I'm not on an unlimited budget so I really liked the thought of the Englander, and with the many positive reviews I've read have considered it. However, will I be asking too much of this stove? All the shops I have visited have pointed me to their biggest stoves available, which also carry the largest price tag. I guess if need be, I'll have to keep an eye out and pick up a used one if I really will need a large stove.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Vance

I own the Harman TL-300 and it has been a very good stove for me.
The fact that I can grill in the middle of winter on it was a big plus for me.

What flue size do you currently have?

Welcome. Bang for the buck, long burns and good mfg. support makes the Englander a solid choice when on a budget.

To be truthful I do not know the size of the flue, I've never actually measured it, I can do that. The inside pipe that the stove is attached to going through the block wall is 6".

Yea, I've read so much about the Englander stoves it really makes me believe that is for me, I was just afraid I'd be beating it to death trying to heat my home. I've read people heating 2400+ square feet with it, just was curious if doing it from the basement would be too crazy for it as most sounds like its in their living space.

Thanks,
Vance

Well, truth be told your setup is not ideal for wood heating the whole house. It is set up pretty much the opposite of ideal. That said, if the basement and house are tight and well insulated, it should get the job done.

Welcome.
I don't have experience with the stoves you mentioned but any of them will put out heat & should work fine. :)
Even if your house set up isn't ideal for a wood stove to heat it 100%, it will save you lots of $$ on the heat bill.
That you have been getting your wood CSS (cut,split & stacked), you are way ahead of most & already understand the importance of "Dry" wood! ;)
Prices should start coming down on woodstoves soon, Spring is close, may get a good buy on a "new" last years model or a good used one. You'll have more price leverage in a month or 2.
Pays to shop & make low ball offers if you have the time, save big buck $$$.
The 6" flu pipe may be something you have to stay with, so size the stove with this in mind, some bigger ones require 8".
Good luck.

vhensler said:
I've read people heating 2400+ square feet with it, just was curious if doing it from the basement would be too crazy for it as most sounds like its in their living space.

Thanks,
Vance

It really depends on your home and location, as well as how warm you consider warm enough. We heat just under 700 Sq Ft with a stove rated for 1500-2200 or thereabouts (our average temp inside is 70-74, whether it's 5 or 35 outside). We've got a poorly insulated, leaky window having former cottage with a choppy layout and lots of glass in the stove room-and stuck right between open fields and a big open lake so we get a direct hit from any wind. A smaller stove could probably do it, but not as well. If the Cottage was super insulated, tuck taped, with highly effecient windows and an open concept, we'd be roasting I'd bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.