Looking to upsize to a Enviro 1700 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar

Oct 13, 2015
Massachusetts
I have been using a Montpelier insert with the 3" extension kit for supplemental heat in a very well insulated 2100 Sq ft colonial. I would like to replace it with either the Enviro Venice or Boston 1700 insert to increase the burn times and heat output. The Montpelier does a decent job heating the majority of the lower level but I have to reload frequently on cold days. Some of the heat rises to the 2nd floor and I use forced hot air upstairs as necessary if it gets too cold upstairs.

The back width of each unit is 22 5/16. The Boston has a depth of 18 1/2" and the Venice 17 7/16".
My masonry fireplace is about 20 inches deep and tapers to a width of 22" @ 18".
There are no other measurement or clearance concerns (H, W, mantle height etc.) except for the 16' hearth requirement that I would solve with an extension pad. 1" R 0.84
The Venice surround would fit flush against the brick face but the Boston would bottom out leaving about 1 inch of space between the surround and brick.

The Lopi freedom would fit but I prefer the dimensions of the Enviro which allows for N/S loading. I would have to fit odd size splits in the lopi to take advantage of its extra 0.5 cu ft firebox.

I prefer the look of the Boston over the Venice and am wondering if anyone has installed one that was not completely flush or modified the brick to accommodate the extra depth or the surround panels to fit better.

Lastly, do you think there would be a noticeable difference in heat output over the montpelier?

Thanks for any feedback!

I've got the Boston. I have about a 3/4 inch gap (intentionally to help air flow). You can't notice it at all. I'm sure 1 inch would look ok. If you really didn't like it you could fashion something to fill the void and paint it.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.