Looks like another big pine score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eclecticcottage

Minister of Fire
Dec 7, 2011
WNY
So...looks like we've got another big bunch o pine coming our way. He's cleaning up part of is 20 wooded acres of downed pine, etc (it's mostly pine). Nice part is, he's skidding it out, we just have to cut it in a staging area and haul it home. Hope we have a short mud season this year, since we already have a big pile waiting to be CSS. We're going to have to start getting creative on storage!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
We definetely will need pictures of a score like that.
Sounds llike lots of cutting & the wood might be a bit dirty.
Do you have a few extra chains ready to go?

Little WD-40 helps clean the pitch off the saw ;)

Have fun.

I'm with Dave....where's our pictures? Dammit you KNOW better, you know how we thrive on pics!?!

Hey, that pine burns good. Get it while the gettin's good. Before I came to this group of guys in the know, I used to give my pine all away......now I know better!

Hey, that pine burns good. Get it while the gettin's good. Before I came to this group of guys in the know, I used to give my pine all away......now I know better!

Is pine really worthy of burning in a stove or insert? I sure hope so! There is so much more of it (Ponderosa Pine) where I am. Currently I scrounge for the less-predominant harder woods - Arizona White Oak, Emory Oak and Cedar - because I've told that a) pine doesn't burn well, and b) it's a big creosote producer. :confused: Please tell me otherwise and I'll be a happy camper.

Is pine really worthy of burning in a stove or insert? I sure hope so! There is so much more of it (Ponderosa Pine) where I am. Currently I scrounge for the less-predominant harder woods - Arizona White Oak, Emory Oak and Cedar - because I've told that a) pine doesn't burn well, and b) it's a big creosote producer. :confused: Please tell me otherwise and I'll be a happy camper.
Pine burns awesome! Actually, sometimes TOO good. Do some searching on here and you'll see. Now, bear in mind that some species are better than others, and pine will not heat you like locust for instance. But when seasoned and burnt correctly, its a great daytime/ shoulder season wood.......

Reactions: Thistle
Pine burns awesome! Actually, sometimes TOO good. Do some searching on here and you'll see. Now, bear in mind that some species are better than others, and pine will not heat you like locust for instance. But when seasoned and burnt correctly, its a great daytime/ shoulder season wood.......
Thanks Scotty. I should clarify my "pine doesn't burn well statement". I find pine burns so well that I'm constantly adding more to the fire. Keep in mind that I only burn in a fireplace right now, as I'm still shopping for my first insert. But it helps to know that I won't have a similar experience with an insert. I'll do some additional searching on the board. Cheers!

Im up to about 3 cords of pine and hemlock, not sure of what species but the last load I got is nice looking wood. Im going to save my oak and better hardwoods for mid winter.

I find pine burns so well that I'm constantly adding more to the fire. Keep in mind that I only burn in a fireplace right now, as I'm still shopping for my first insert. But it helps to know that I won't have a similar experience with an insert.
Having control over the air will slow down the burn for sure, but it will still burn faster than a lot of other woods.
Even though I have longer-lasting woods, I'll often burn the medium stuff like Cherry or soft Maple if I'm there to feed the fire...

I'll get some pics of the pile we haul home, it's his inlaws land and they didn't even want us walking on it (afraid of getting sued) so I figure he'd be a little weirded out if I wanted to take pics, lol.

Yup, we always have extra chains.

They started skidding it out already, so we'll be cutting soon depending on weather.

Now, bear in mind that some species are better than others, and pine will not heat you like locust for instance......

See, we burn it all the time, no matter which part of the season we're in. It heats fine, as well as hardwood, just for a shorter period.

Reactions: gmule

All I burn is pine. It burns great and dries fast. You will just need a little more of it is all and reload a little sooner.

I just picked up 1.5 cords of aged lodgepole stored in a garage for $75.00 mixed with a bit of Larch. Im so happy, the snow is to deep to head into the bush and im getting low on burn now wood. Not any more!! Going to pick the other 3 truck loads up in the next couple of days. Best part is,,, Its 4 doors down!

Status
Not open for further replies.