Looks like I picked the wrong year to buy two pellet stove oil prices keep dropping....

Bassmantweed Posted By Bassmantweed, Dec 6, 2014 at 11:35 AM

1. Bassmantweed

Bassmantweed
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 22, 2013
    Loc:
    Avon, CT
    I know it's a long term play and it will pay off in the end but I was just curious with pellets at $5.50 and oil at $2.60, my payoff point just went out a few years I think.

2. TimfromMA

TimfromMA
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2014
    Loc:
    Central MA
    The point at which I turn the stove off in favor of the oil furnace is rapidly approaching.

3. lagger

lagger
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 2, 2014
    Loc:
    Bloomingburg NY
    oil still at 3.00 a gallon here.. I use 3 or 4 tanks at 175 gallons per delivery a year in oil for far less heat in terms of temperature (70-73 as opposesd to 62 to 66 with oil) so I'm still hanging in with the pellets unless oil drops to 2.00 or lower, which I highly doubt I will ever see

4. TimfromMA

TimfromMA
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2014
    Loc:
    Central MA
    The cheapest oil I can find in our area is $2.64. Its still $0.64 too high.

F4jock likes this.
  5. bags

bags
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 12, 2014
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Oil might be cheaper now but it will not stay there for years to come. Now that it is less expensive trucking and shipping food and goods have you seen that reflected in price cuts at the stores...........Nope. It's all a racket and money game.

JustWood, F4jock and Big papa like this.
  6. Pellet-King

Pellet-King
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 30, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern Ct
    Sure the room your stove is in is 74, but a room away..what is it...dont lie my friend, I'm seeing 10 degrees difference 10 feet around the corner

7. TimfromMA

TimfromMA
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2014
    Loc:
    Central MA
    I see a max 4 degree difference between the room where the stove is and the room furthest away on the same level.

8. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:
    Bucks County,Pa /North of Phila Eagles

9. alternativeheat

alternativeheat
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2013
    Loc:
    Cape Cod, Ma.
    Best I can say is keep your stoves. This all has happened before. Though this time has a bit of a new twist to it. I'm not selling my stove.

JustWood likes this.
  10. TimfromMA

TimfromMA
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2014
    Loc:
    Central MA
    Stove will never be sold, it will jut be used alot less.

11. Bioburner

Bioburner
    Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Loc:
    West central Mn
    All you need to see high oil is someone throwing a piece of ordinance in a oil producing Arab state or something of the same effect as 911 here:(

JustWood and Tonyray like this.
  12. bogieb

bogieb
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2014
    Loc:
    South Central NH
    My living room (where the stove lives) is 74-76, and my bedroom is 70-71. My bedroom is over the garage, so it was always cold when I was running propane (then, there was a 5-10 degree difference, depending on outdoor temp and wind speed). I have a register fan sitting on the floor under my dresser blowing cold air out, and another fan sitting at the top of the door from the livingroom to the hall blowing warm air down the hall. The other two rooms next to my bedroom aren't more than 1-2 degrees different from the bedroom, if that.

13. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:

14. Big papa

Big papa
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 4, 2014
    Loc:
    Pa
    I hate to sound like a broken record too but my pellet stash is bought and paid for so won't be looking at pellet or oil prices til next year and yes tony loving the 70 plus degree temps in my home right now

15. moey

moey
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2012
    Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Use it for ambiance. Ever look at a register or a baseboard for 5 minutes and just be mesmerized by it?

sinnian, boomhour, zrtmatos and 4 others like this.
  16. unbidden

unbidden
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 3, 2014
    Loc:
    Foster, RI
  17. BrotherBart

BrotherBart
    Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    It is a subscription site.

18. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:

19. alternativeheat

alternativeheat
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2013
    Loc:
    Cape Cod, Ma.
    Is anyone else not seeing text in Tony's replies because I'm not ? On both one computer of mine and my cell. I haven't tried the other computer.

20. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:

21. bags

bags
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 12, 2014
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Ha hahahaha Ha HA! You made me laugh big time. Beautiful thought!

I will pay for what makes sense but I will do whatever I can to keep warm and put it to the energy kings. Even if using pellets might cost a little more than oil or whatever. At this point it is just as much about principle as it is money. I am so done with that game it isn't even funny. If solar wasn't so expensive and more refined I'd have those bastards paying me each month.

I removed myself from the fluctuating screw overs years ago. Here's a tid bit. The local electric company came out and switched my meter 3 times the first winter I used the Woodmaster a decade ago and they installed a lock on it. That alone insulted me and pissed me off. I heated with wood before that but at another home. The electric co. thought I was screwing them somehow because my usage went from extremely high to extremely low. I am smart enough to know that criminal charges are not worth a little electric cash. At first they thought the meter was bad. After I finally walked the third donkey around and showed him they suddenly understood and he took their lock home. Morons...

As for my temps thru out the house the most fluctuation I get is 7-8 degrees from my farthest reaches from the stove and that is during the real cold days and nights. During upper 30's to the 50's the temperature fluctuation decreases to about 3-4 degrees and I have checked often and monitored this since Oct 18th. Still do for sport and curiosity. I have a pretty open floor plan though on 2 levels and fans moving air. The 7-8 degree difference between the stove area and the farthest reaches is about to get remedied when I install the 2nd pellet stove. Yes, I am that dedicated to not giving utility and energy co.'s my cash. I am currently heating with one stove now and have been. Doubt I use the OWB at all or only to run it this season for fun or it stays well below zero for extended times. Not likely here.

English BoB likes this.
  22. Big papa

Big papa
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 4, 2014
    Loc:
    Pa
    Same problem here

23. bags

bags
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 12, 2014
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    All I see is him and his signature. I do see the quote in the last one but nothing Tony says........ Weird.

24. alternativeheat

alternativeheat
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2013
    Loc:
    Cape Cod, Ma.
    Yes, well we have been PMing and today's PMs are the same way. I get quotes and a signature, the Avatar, no text.

25. Big papa

Big papa
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 4, 2014
    Loc:
    Pa
    Hey bags I ran outta likes so I like your post man