Looks like I picked the wrong year to buy two pellet stove oil prices keep dropping....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure the room your stove is in is 74, but a room away..what is it...dont lie my friend, I'm seeing 10 degrees difference 10 feet around the corner
I swear on a stack of pellets, stove room is 74 degrees.::-)
furthest room is 71 degrees.. on the other hand,
I have a friend who has pellet stove and his floor plan is broken up in such a way that you walk thru short hallway to each room. kind of like a maze.
the room the stove is in is balls out crazy warm and others rooms the heat just barely get's there.. at least a 10 degree difference or more.

Reactions: Buckeyesfan75
We had over a 10 degree difference between rooms. Small entrance way into the room where the stove was. One of the reasons I quit burning on a regular basis. I had no desire to be in a room that was 75 and was cold in the rooms where it was 62. Didnt like the sound of a fan trying to move air around. God I sound like a woman..

We have baseboard electric heat so I don't worry about the price of heating oil. My pellet stove is saving me big time and the house is a lot warmer. 70 or above with the pellet stove and was 62 with the electric heat.

We have baseboard electric heat so I don't worry about the price of heating oil. My pellet stove is saving me big time and the house is a lot warmer. 70 or above with the pellet stove and was 62 with the electric heat.
Exactly why most of us here invested in a Pellet Stove..

Reactions: alternativeheat
Just read highlights of a interview of T Boone Pickens and he figures crude will be over 100 in 12 to 16 months.

I'll tell you one thing, these lower oil prices have me considering upping my getting up temp from 62 to 64 in the common area. I'll still put on a fire, but it will take less time to get up to temp.

Just read highlights of a interview of T Boone Pickens and he figures crude will be over 100 in 12 to 16 months.
Isn't he a NG perma bull? Doesn't he have huge NG interests?

turning off the electric space heaters in real cold spells. back to the oil burner when we really need help for the little F100. prices for ff vs elec going in opposites instead of tandem. from what I've read recently watch out mid Dec for the cold to take hold east 2/3 of the country.

I mostly went to pellets for noise. It's a small place with forced hot air system. I like a quiet house and that kicking on and off all night bugged me. Now this stove is so quiet and the house is warmer then i keep it with oil i love it. But with it so low now I'm thinking of running it while I'm at work and cranking up the stove when I get home

I picked up a fill of propain first half of July for 1.49/gallon. Local tank farm is now empty. Now price is around $2. Wet corn and a very cold November sucked up supply around here.

I checked this against what I paid for pellets this year(they weren't cheap!), and I think oil would have to hit $2.40 before I would even consider it. However I have already bought the pellets, so why not burn them, and not pay more out of pocket. Might actually experiment with cheaper pellets next year, though I prefer pellets with the least amount of ash buildup.

I'm curious if propane prices drop inline with oil. I'm watching this link over the winter. http://www.eia.gov/petroleum/heatingoilpropane/#itn-tabs-1

Although I already my pellet supply for the winter and propane would need to be WELL under $2/gal to make me turn on the furnace.

Propane prices have actually been rising the last couple of weeks here. Just ordered 150 gallons (about $500 worth) to ensure I have enough for my hot water, running FHW if I take any vacation, and running the boiler to circulate warm water twice/day during cold spells (don't want pipes in garage freezing!). I figure that will last me at least a year if not more.

This will be the cheapest, at least amount of propane for a delivery I have ever had. Last year I was on about a 25 day delivery cycle because that would use 70% of a 500 gal tank. This will be the first delivery since I go the Harman (and now, it won't be full, but with the 20% that is in the tank, it is plenty)

I picked up a fill of propain first half of July for 1.49/gallon. Local tank farm is now empty. Now price is around $2. Wet corn and a very cold November sucked up supply around here.

Would kill for either of those prices - well, maim anyway - LOL. $3.30, or so around these parts.

Hey, and you probably have that <$2.00/gal. gas too - not even close to that here :p

Hey, and you probably have that <$2.00/gal. gas too - not even close to that here :p

Im sure hes got 6% sales tax on everything too.. They get their money somehow..

Our heating oil is still $2.79 a gallon in Pennsylvania. I easily use 100 gallons or more a month and with a ton of pellets running around $250, which last me longer than a month, I still get a warmer house for a little less money. With oil, our house was around 60-64, with the pellet stove, we run around 66-70. If the oil prices are still down at the end of the season, I may fill up my 250 gallon tank just to have it. We may never see prices this low again.

Im sure hes got 6% sales tax on everything too.. They get their money somehow..
When I'm looking at $2.70/gal (including state and fed taxes), <$2/gal is sounding mighty good. Most states add their taxes to the sale price of the fuel, not as a separate charge. However, don't want a 6% sales tax on the other stuff - I much prefer the 0% sales tax in NH (unless of course, you buy one of the 150 +/- items that are taxed separately by law)

The price at the pump includes all taxes.

We probably have one of the highest propane prices on earth here on Cape Cod. They cart it down from off cape, last bill was $4.65 a gal according to my wife. But we only have a 100 gal tank and it's for cooking and hot water, the cloths dryer. We fill two to three times a year more or less and it's never all that low when we do. Funny we got rid of this company once and they bought out who we went with , so now we are stuck with them again. The last company was about a buck a gallon lower

I know what you are all saying. I dropped about $5k on my M55 insert when all done (insert, install, electrical, etc), but even at $2.50/gallon for oil, and spending $1800 on 6 tons of pellets, if I use little oil, I'm still saving about $900-1300 (depending on price). And it's way warmer in the house. We kept our oil temps around 66-67. We're around 72 with the pellet stove.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skier76
I know what you are all saying. I dropped about $5k on my M55 insert, but even at $2.50/gallon for oil, and spending $1800 on 6 tons of pellets, if I use little oil, I'm still saving about $900-1300 (depending on price). And it's way warmer in the house. We kept our oil temps around 66-67. We're around 72 with the pellet stove.
Same story for many here...
Mid to upper 60's with Oil
Anywhere in 70's with pellets.:)

At least where I live, the best I can do for oil is around $2.60 and as many others have stated, I was keeping the house in the low to mid 60s and with the pellet stove I can easily be in the low 70's. So, even if oil and pellet prices reached the break even point, I'd still choose pellets because the house would be MUCH warmer. The bottom line is, even though I just put my stove in this year, I do not regret it one bit :).

Additionally, with pellets I can much more easily buy when the prices are low and store them. I only have a 275 gallon oil tank which doesn't even come close to lasting the entire winter, so I end up having to buy a tanks worth or more during peak demand.

Maybe someone else knows, but what effect do these lower gas prices have on pellet pricing? I would think it might cause pellets to eventually drop somewhat in price as it would now cost less to move them around. Additionally, as other less dedicated pellet burners switch back to oil, that should lower demand on pellets -- thus lowering their price as well. (I'm no economics expert, that's just my theory)

Status
Not open for further replies.