Loose Cord Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eightball1313

Sep 24, 2019
Poconos, Pa
I have seen a few definitions for "loose cords" one being 160 cubic feet and the other being 180 cubic feet. I have always gone with 180 cubic feet loose, whether selling firewood or cutting my own.

my question is, if im using 180 cubic feet for a loose thrown cord, then 270 cubic feet would be a cord and a half correct?
Therefore, my dump truck bed is 12 foot long, 7.5 wide, and has 2 foot high sides. If i mound it up in the middle about 4 feet high and fill in the ends so it tapers down towards the front and back, say an average of 3 feet high loose, then i can say thats about a cord and half correct? this is with all 16 inch wood... or am i thinking about it wrong?

Let me know what you think, see my attached picture of the load i am referencing, 3 feet high is to the top of the rack at the rear of the cab of the truck, the wood sides only go up 2 feet but imagine them going all the way up to the top of the rack
1632250722695.jpeg

1632250762667.jpeg

Your calculations are correct !!
But if it is a cord and a half you would only know
when it was stacked which would be 192 cubic feet
A cord is the amount of wood it takes to fill a space of 128 cubic ft.
and stacked chipmunk tight and mouse loose according to my
Father In Law (rest his soul)

Your calculations are correct !!
But if it is a cord and a half you would only know
when it was stacked which would be 192 cubic feet
A cord is the amount of wood it takes to fill a space of 128 cubic ft.
and stacked chipmunk tight and mouse loose according to my
Father In Law (rest his soul)
ok i thought so, i have been meaning to stack a load but just havent gotten to it, and really have just been wondering whether or not im thinking it through properly or not beings that its loose and not stacked.

Back when I sold firewood I hauled a bunch in a one ton Chevy with a dump bed and loading a 180 loose cord would stack out to a nice full cord. Looking at that load you have on your truck I would be surprise if it would stack out to be a cord and a half. Looks like just over a cord to me. You will just have to stack out a few loads and see how it comes out.

Reactions: crstrode
Back when I sold firewood I hauled a bunch in a one ton Chevy with a dump bed and loading a 180 loose cord would stack out to a nice full cord. Looking at that load you have on your truck I would be surprise if it would stack out to be a cord and a half. Looks like just over a cord to me. You will just have to stack out a few loads and see how it comes out.
yeah i gotta stack a load thats the only way to know for sure. just going off the math, 12x7.5x3 is 270 cubic feet, but thats all an estimate wen you just mound it up on the truck. i will stack a load as soon as i can and get back to you on what i get, im really curious how close it is.

I was trying to buy a normal mason dump like a year ago but the prices for everything have been so crazy so i built my own dump truck out of my old farm truck, it works!