Lopi 380/440

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tappedandtagged

Sep 18, 2020
SW, Arkansas
This mid 1980's Lopi stove popped up for sale locally today. Seller is advertising it for $200 and says it sat outside for a year due to a house fire (which I assume didn't involve the stove since he also says the built in blower works).

Anyway, it obviously needs a lot of work and some money dumped into it. I had decided on the Drolet Columbia II or Escape 1800 with legs, but when this came up for sale in my town, I figured it may be a good deal. I don't care for the pedestal look, but really like the old cast iron doors...

What would it take to get this in like new condition? I figured a good cleaning with a wire cup on an angle grinder and a new coat of high temp paint would do for the outside, but what about the internals? Would I be better off just buying a new Drolet that will achieve a secondary burn without use of a flue damper? I'm personally leaning toward a new one. If I had a hunting cabin, I sure would snatch this up in a heartbeat, but I pull my camper to deer camp.

Any thoughts appreciated. Pics attached of actual stove.

20201010_195527.jpg20201010_195448.jpg20201010_195506.jpg

I personally like the Drolet stoves and the Lopi stoves.

I would try to buy the Lopi as cheap as possible and clean it up. It’s not hurt any. Good candidate to put your own reburn system in it and could easily be done if you are handy.

As soon as you buy it, turn right around and go buy the Drolet as well. You won’t regret it. Put the Drolet in the house and study it and use it. Take what you learn and apply it to the Lopi. Like I said...it can easily be update if you’re handy and have some tools and access to a cheap welder.

Both are built like tanks. As you’re working on the Lopi and need a break, go inside and enjoy the Drolet.

Depending on the year it was made, the 380/440 had a basic secondary air induction system introduced around 1985. This might be adaptable to a more modern tube system. However, I suspect that this is an 84 model that may not have the secondary supply. The manual is still available here: https://www.lopistoves.com/owner-resources/manuals/manuals-discontinued/

Use a wire brush and steel wool to take off the rust. Then wipe down with a tack rag to remove all dust. Wipe down with alcohol. Then spray paint with Stove Brite Satin Black (3 light coats, 2 cans). Clean up the glass and put on new gaskets. It will look almost new.

Reactions: tappedandtagged