Lopi AGP shuts down after 2 days

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LuvMyStove

Dec 16, 2008
northwest CT
After having an Austroflamm for 22 years, my wife and I bought a Lopi AGP (freestanding). This is our second year. Recently, the stove started shutting down after 2 days of running even though I had given it a thorough cleaning. I know how to get it started again easily. I just take off the right side panel, disconnect the vacuum hose from the nipple and run a pipe cleaner through the nipple to clean out the soot. The stove starts right back up every time.
What I think is happening is that soot is building up around the nipple on the other side of the wall so that it is easier and easier for soot to plug up that end. The problem is that I can't get into that chamber to clean the other end of the nipple. If I try to access it from behind the ashpan (I remove the little trap door), the fan housing is in the way. My only other option would be to remove the combustion fan from the vacuum hose side and reach in through the hole to clean the nipple and as much of the chamber as I can see/reach. I haven't done that because I don't know if I would be breaking any seal between the fan and the wall.
So I have a couple questions: 1) Am I right about the stove shutting down because of soot in the nipple? and 2) If that is the cause how can I access the other end to clean it? I'm attaching a diagram of what I think is happening. Thanks in advance to everyone responding.

Attachments

• Lopi AGP diagram.jpg
    Lopi AGP diagram.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 312
1) Am I right about the stove shutting down because of soot in the nipple? Yes it is quite possible that is your problem.
2) If that is the cause how can I access the other end to clean it? if it is a brass barb bulkhead fitting like what the picture shows there should be able to remove the fitting with a wrench from the side that you can access. if it isn't its more than likely welded into the bulkhead and pipe cleaner or removal of motor is necessary. should remove the motor at least once a year to clean it out maybe more depending on pellets and how dirty they burn.

Last edited:
Thanks Syssko. Removing the motor just involves cutting all power and removing the bolts? I'm concerned about tearing a gasket without having a backup gasket to replace it. If I pull the motor I can access the other end of the nipple because they're right next to each other, and maybe even clean out the chamber around the nipple.
I know this is probably a stupid question, but is there anything else I have to beware of when removing the motor? I would be careful not to bend the fins on the fan. Thanks again.

Yep you got it! The nipple doesn’t thread in?

It probably does thread in but I haven't had a chance to shut down the stove yet (house was too cold). I'll probably take a crack at it tomorrow. I also ordered a couple of gaskets for the combus motor so I'll feel a little safer about removing that. Can't wait to get inside that chamber and clean out the soot. At least a good chunk of it! Thanks again.

Interesting. I have the AGP insert which has been shutting down intermittantly. I get the blinking red lights (inadequate draft, plugged pressure switch, or push auger error). I just hit the start button and it runs as normal. Been thinking about cleaning the pressure nozzle but that means pulling the unit out of the fireplace. I’ll wait till spring and clean it during the annual deep clean. Interested in hearing how things work out for you.

Today I followed Ssyko's advice and took out the vacuum nipple. The end that's inside the bulkhead had quite a bit of soot on it. I cleaned it as best I could (is there a solvent for soot?) and reinstalled it. As I said in the original post, there's a small chamber on the other side of the bulkhead which I'm sure is loaded w/ soot and contributes to the nipple getting plugged. This weekend I'll be taking out the combustion motor (which is next to the nipple) and try to use the hole for the motor to get a brush in there and knock down some of the soot. Unfortunately the combustion fan has a housing around it that may block me from accessing all corners of the chamber.
When we first got the stove we could let it run for several days (until the ashpan filled up) but after a month or two it started shutting down, probably because the soot was building up in the chamber and plugging the nipple. I'll let you know what happens.

Attachments

• vacuum nipple.jpg
    vacuum nipple.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 184
Never cleaned one,but think you are right,a small area that can get buildup in it.Pull the blower,and have a smaller section of hose adapted to your vacuum cleaner.Duct tape works in a pinch.

Reactions: Ssyko
I use an old piece of dishwasher hose in the end of my shop vac. Dawn dish soap and hot water let it soak :)

I forgot about trying Dawn on the soot. As for the combustion motor housing, I'd like to remove it after I take out the motor, but doubt I can get to all the nuts or screws that hold it. I do have a small hose that fits into a shop vac adapter that I use for tight spots, but will probably also need some kind of brush because I'll be working blind. Thanks.

Baby bottle brush

Just an update, but after removing the nipple and cleaning it semi-good, we've been running the stove four days without a shutdown. Tomorrow I'll be taking out the combustion motor and cleaning out the chamber as best I can.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Add that to your 1 ton maintenance schedule and you will have many years of heat and less problems.

Reactions: Mt Bob