Lopi Answer stove - Any complaints on this stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MyFyrByrd said:
Good point.
I went to the dealer today and brought four normal size split logs. I loaded them in each of the stoves. I didn't have much air space between the logs in the smaller Answer stove. It looked as though I might smother out a fire with them stacked on top of each other with such little room in between. I was thinking that might make in a real pain in the butt trying to start a fire with them packed so tightly. This didn't seem like it would be a problem with the Endeavor. I like the Answer alot(especially cause it doesn't stick so far out into the room) but wouldn't purchase it if its going to be a real pain starting fires. Is it generally easier to start a fire with the larger fireboxes?
I start my fires in my summit with small stuff other wise it won't light up so I am sure you will not have a problem that way, if you like the answer that much and you think it will work for you by all means get it after all you are the one living with it.

How 'bout the small spaceing between the logs? Am I going to have to leave the door cracked for along time, possiblly smoking up the room to get this baby up and running?

You are not going to have a problem starting fires in a smaller stove vs a large one.
When you are starting a fire from just a few coals, you are normally not going to pack it at that time.
Basically, you use some kindling and some small splits...and once your temps are up to par, you can start filling the stove and decreasing the air flow and getting the secondaries to burn.
Some others might chime in here, but given the same draft/chimney/wood, there should be no difference in starting a fire with a smaller firebox vs. a larger one.
Even when I have not the best kindling, I only need to leave the door cracker for about 1 minute or so.
If you are getting smoke in the room, you have a problem with your chimney/draft, or you are burning wet wood

daveswoodhauler said:
You are not going to have a problem starting fires in a smaller stove vs a large one.
When you are starting a fire from just a few coals, you are normally not going to pack it at that time.
Basically, you use some kindling and some small splits...and once your temps are up to par, you can start filling the stove and decreasing the air flow and getting the secondaries to burn.
Some others might chime in here, but given the same draft/chimney/wood, there should be no difference in starting a fire with a smaller firebox vs. a larger one.
Even when I have not the best kindling, I only need to leave the door cracker for about 1 minute or so.
If you are getting smoke in the room, you have a problem with your chimney/draft, or you are burning wet wood
What he said!

MyFyrByrd said:
I like the Answer alot(especially cause it doesn’t stick so far out into the room) but wouldn’t purchase it if its going to be a real pain starting fires.

The Endeavor will stick out less into the room. The depth of the Answer is 31 7/8" and the Endeavor is 34 5/8", the Answer needs to be 9 inches from the wall the Endeavor only needs 4 1/4 inches from the wall when both are using double wall pipe.

MyFyrByrd said:
Ok, how 'bout not being able to leave as much space between logs when you load your larger splits?
It will burn at different rate than loosely stacked but on a hot bed of coals it works well.

rdust said:
MyFyrByrd said:
I like the Answer alot(especially cause it doesn’t stick so far out into the room) but wouldn’t purchase it if its going to be a real pain starting fires.

The Endeavor will stick out less into the room. The depth of the Answer is 31 7/8" and the Endeavor is 34 5/8", the Answer needs to be 9 inches from the wall the Endeavor only needs 4 1/4 inches from the wall when both are using double wall pipe.
The plot thickens!

That is what I tried to say ealier rdust.....

MyFyrByrd said:
Make sense. I guess I would have to open the air intake up a little more if the logs are packed tightly.
Type of wood comes into play so mix and match helps also.

Sounds like he is trying to talk himself into an Answer instead of out of the Endeavor. I am glad that struggle is over for me, when dropping that much cash on a stove you want to make the best informed decision you can so you have the least regrets later. Food for thought, which has already been mentioned,

1: Endeavor takes up less space even though it is a larger stove.
2: Endeavor has a larger fire box for longer burn times, especially when burned low as you may do with your room size
3: Endeavor has North/South loading which makes it easier to pack for overnight burns
4: Endeavor has a bypass for start-up and reloading

Help me out guys on the cons for the Endeavor.

rdust said:
MyFyrByrd said:

The Answers depth is only 16 1/4 inch.

sixman said:
Sounds like he is trying to talk himself into an Answer instead of out of the Endeavor. I am glad that struggle is over for me, when dropping that much cash on a stove you want to make the best informed decision you can so you have the least regrets later. Food for thought, which has already been mentioned,

2: Endeavor has a larger fire box for longer burn times, especially when burned low as you may do with your room size
3: Endeavor has North/South loading which makes it easier to pack for overnight burns

Your right about trying to talk myself into the Answer. But you seriously have me leaning towards the Endeavor. You said it perfectly about dropping that much cash and making a wise decision. Thats why i'm here posting questions. Thanks for the advice , i will continue to follow this thread until I'm 100% confident in my final decision.

sixman said:

Mentioning all those cons. Please, keep in mind that I'm not looking to burn around the clock. If the Answer will leave me with hot enough coals after 8 hours to re-kindle I would be happy with that. I mainly like the fire for the viewing plleasure and to just take the chill off the house. But it is VERY important to me that I'm not constantly babying or tending to it. If the Answer is going to take too much time loading and constantly cleaning out ash then It's not for me.

MyFyrByrd said:
Thanks . Is your PE Summit similar in size to the Answer?
No it is bigger but was just giving you general answers that work for any stove, packed tightly the wood does not burn as quick as loosely packed plus a less dense wood will start quicker.

For what its worth I went back and read all through the posts and I do believe you will be happier with the endeavor, good luck and enjoy.

MyFyrByrd said:
sixman said:

Mentioning all those cons. Please, keep in mind that I'm not looking to burn around the clock. If the Answer will leave me with hot enough coals after 8 hours to re-kindle I would be happy with that. I mainly like the fire for the viewing plleasure and to just take the chill off the house. But it is VERY important to me that I'm not constantly babying or tending to it. If the Answer is going to take too much time loading and constantly cleaning out ash then It's not for me.

I started out the same way. We had a growing family to take care of and I didn't want to make a lot of changes, so we worked with the stoves that came with the house at first. In the past ten years I have gone from burning evenings and weekends in a small stove to adding a pellet stove (sold now) to heating round the clock with wood in a good sized stove. What changed? Kids have grown, wife likes heat and helps, the new stove is centrally placed, now have a wood shed and wood box on the porch, and the house is tighter and better insulated. A healthy dose of hearth.com helped.

So if you get the Answer, don't hang out here, you may regret it :p . j/k

PS: I increased stove size 3 times till at the present 3 cu ft Alderlea, so don't follow my example.

Firebird I went through the gauntlet of stoves trying to make a decision of what make, model and fuel type too. This is an awesome place to get opinions and keep in mind that is just what they are. However that is what I wanted when I got on here, someone else's opinion on the decisions I was making. You will see that some of the guys here have been burning for 50+ years. I started out thinking about getting a pellet stove but since I have all the free wood I can cut, that went out the window pretty quick. I did like the control you have over the pellet stove with auto ignite and the thermostat but went with the stick burning Endeavor. I plan to use it as my only source of heat next winter and hopefully finish most of my install this weekend. Don't rush to a decision since you have plenty of time. I would suggest you go to the review section of Hearth.com and read the many reviews of both stoves before deciding. As others have done, you may decide to burn more often than you think once you see the drop in your present heating bill. (providing you have access to free or cheap wood)

https://www.hearth.com/ratings/search.php

Defintely go with the Endeavor. Have been burning it for 4 years and love it. You'll want the longer burn at some point,the bypass damper is convenient and get the blower. You'll love it.

MyFyrByrd said:
The Answers depth is only 16 1/4 inch.

You're right, I looked at the wrong column, I listed the heights of the stoves. Trying to multitask at work got me. :) The Answer is 16 1/4 and the Endeavor is 23 1/2 so the Endeavor would end up taking up about 2 1/2 inches more.

I can understand your issues with the room foot print, that's why I went with the Endeavor over the Liberty. If the Liberty would load 18" n/s(or even an honest 16) and had a better rear clearance to combustibles I would've jumped all over it.

I'm happy with the Endeavor for the most part BUT I could have used the extra size of the Liberty a few times over the winter. I started out with the intention of supplementing my propane usage, it quickly turned to burning 24/7.

Here is a quick compare of propane used before the stove to after.(Note I didn't start the stove till Nov. 1st so almost 300 gallons are before the stove)

Propane Use Comparison for First Season Burning

08/09

11/21/08: 275 Gallons
12/26/08: 270 Gallons
01/30/09: 322 Gallons
03/06/09: 262 Gallons
05/15/09: 303 Gallons
Total: 1432 Gallons

09/10

11/06/09: 283 Gallons
12/24/09: 106 Gallons
03/26/10: 124 Gallons
05/??/10: Currently Unkown(tank still at 80%)
Total: 513 Gallons so far

Rdust, how big of a house are you heating with that Endeavor? From your avatar photo it looks like 2 stories. If so , what if you closed off the second story (stairwell to upper floor) leaving yourself with only your first floor to heat. Would you still make the same choice of stove?

MyFyrByrd said:
Rdust, how big of a house are you heating with that Endeavor? From your avatar photo it looks like 2 stories. If so , what if you closed off the second story (stairwell to upper floor) leaving yourself with only your first floor to heat. Would you still make the same choice of stove?

It's around 1950 sq', the lower level is around 1150(I think). The Endeavor is rated for 1200-2000 sq' so I think you will still be ok with it. I feel the house being a two story is the reason I can get away with the smaller Endeavor and not need a larger stove due to the heat being able to go up instead of moving around a stretched out ranch style home. I don't think I'd hesitate to use the stove in a smaller house, I wouldn't have to run it nearly as hard to keep up with my heating needs. I'm also able to close my living room off from the rest of the house and kept the forth bedroom closed most of the winter since I didn't need it. This knocks it down to 1600 sq' or so.

And for the record almost everyone here recommend a larger stove for my house. I actually wouldn't have minded going bigger but couldn't find one to fit my requirements when I was looking. I haven't regretted it at all though, now if the stove couldn't burn through the night I'd have a problem. :lol:

If you can post a floor plan of the house with the planned stove location it may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.