Lopi burn pot over filling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Diceman97

Nov 3, 2019
Delanson, NY
Hello!
First time owner here and first time posting. I am brand new to our pellet stove, Lopi Deerfield, but in the last week we have had an ignition fault over night 3 times. Along with this the burn pot has filled up and over flowed into the ash pan. We are using it on thermostat mode not manual. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so was there a fix to it? The shop we purchased from is coming out Thursday to check it out. Thx in advance!
Mike

Attachments

• B851908A-502A-40CA-B8AF-BE8D341E2FDA.jpeg
    B851908A-502A-40CA-B8AF-BE8D341E2FDA.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 299
  • 2257F270-E989-437F-91EE-FA0BA862A959.jpeg
    2257F270-E989-437F-91EE-FA0BA862A959.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 258
Just a guess but you can control the flow (amount) of pellets going into the burn pot by adjusting the feed control rod. I had the same problem with way too many pellets dropping into the pot pre-ignition. When my Quadra fired up we had a huge fire in the pot. Closed the auger opening a bit and no more problem. Hope that helps.

That stove does not have a feed adjustable rod/plate. What heat setting is it set to while in tstat mode. Is the holes in the burn pot clogged up or alot of ash in the pot?

It’s set typically at 4 or 5. It’s new so I’ve been cleaning the stove completely every week. Ash pan is typically not full at all and the burn pot is pretty clean, holes are clear. It’s weird I noticed the last tim that if I turn the temp on the tstat down while the stove is in cool down mode that it happened after that, the previous times no rhyme or reason though.

I would call your dealer that is still under warranty.

Yeah, they are coming out tomorrow, figured I’d ask here too. Thanks!
I have had a similar ongoing issue with my lopi agp insert .. dealer replaced the enumerator (metering motor) and pressure switch but no help .. in a related thread it was suggested I close the air intake door behind, and below the burn pt.. will do that in a day or two.... the problem only happens in tstat mode... never in manual mode

Please post here if you get your issue resolved and tell us how you did it

I have had a similar problem when running my Profile 30 on a thermostat. In some cases, the tstat will call for heat before the stove has completed its shutdown cycle from the last burn. Since the stove is not burning (but the proof of fire switch is still closed) the stove will continue to feed pellets until it goes into fault mode. The result is a cold stove with a burn pot full of unburned pellets.

my lopi does it even when starting up from stone cold

Make sure they fix it....dont let them give you a line of BS. I have a Lopi AGP which has the same feed/operating system and unfortunately it's been nothing but problematic and its barely a year old. The dealer always gives me the run around and I have to constantly call the guy who installs the stoves for the dealer.

closed down the air intake I mentioned in prior reply t 1/2 open from all the way open .. started ok from cold early this morning but threw the error code later when it was shutting down and I goosed the tstat for it to restart .. stove was still a little warm and exhaust fan running .. will try again from a cold start 100% tonight after a full and complete shut down

I actually had the dealer out last week, the only thing they found was gap in the exhaust vent. The stove hadn’t had the issue in over a week...they couldn’t find any other issues..one home today and bam....full burn pot in tstat mode...i find it happens more when I turn the tstat down while it’s still burning or shutting down.

closed the air vent down to 50 %.. same error 2 times since .. have given up,on tstat mode at this point and just turn the stove down to minimum at night ... I still suspect the control board but the dealer's tech tells me that is not the issue, I'm not so sure

I actually had the dealer out last week, the only thing they found was gap in the exhaust vent. The stove hadn’t had the issue in over a week...they couldn’t find any other issues..one home today and bam....full burn pot in tstat mode...i find it happens more when I turn the tstat down while it’s still burning or shutting down.
I have found similar .. usually fails after tstat shut down and start up later .. sometimes takes hours running just fine then boom outta nowhere the error light starts blinking and the stove begins a shut down

I have found similar .. usually fails after tstat shut down and start up later .. sometimes takes hours running just fine then boom outta nowhere the error light starts blinking and the stove begins a shut down

yeah 100%. I hadn’t had the issue since I posted and then yesterday it happened again. This time there was a huge chunk of ash in front of the igniter.

yeah 100%. I hadn’t had the issue since I posted and then yesterday it happened again. This time there was a huge chunk of ash in front of the igniter.
I Have been running the agp now for a few weeks without the tstat and not a single error .. ;spent nearly 500 dollars last year to have a tech look at it .. replaced the pressure switch and enumerator and that did nothing but help empty my wallet .. I am thinking at this point that the issue is either 1. the actual tstat (not too likely , it is after all just a switch or 2. the control board, I suggested the board may be faulty to the tech but he said probably not, however there is not much else in the operating chain that has not been replaced at this point

Reactions: Diceman97
So I’ve done some experimenting in the last couple days as I’ve had some overfilling issues again. My controls have three settings on tstat mode, slow cool down fast coooldown and low burn. The stove hasn’t overfilled on fast cool down or slow burn. It continually does on the slow cool down which I think is because by the time it cools down and is about to shut off the stove tried to fire back up again and floods the burn pot and ash pan with pellets smothering the igniter.
I’ve attached a photo of the processes. I’m going to continue to run in fast cool down or low burn to avoid any further issues and I will keep reporting back.
I'm also using an external tstat as the internal probe is 4” off the floor.

Attachments

• C6341B3F-61C7-43E3-BF74-2D96C32E83D2.png
    C6341B3F-61C7-43E3-BF74-2D96C32E83D2.png
    246.6 KB · Views: 242