Lopi Cape Cod VS Quadrafire Explorer ll?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricore

Oct 27, 2014
Alabama
I am going to purchase a free standing wood burning stove this winter. I can't decide between a Lopi Cape Cod VS Quadrafire Explorer ll. I live in Alabama and will only be using it for emergencies or an occasional fire. Would like to know your thoughts and experiences with either stove. Thanks in advance!

Welcome Bricore. Both of these stoves are new and without a long track record. The Quad Explorer II is a more conventional design and may be more predictable.

Availability mostly but I also read that both brands were decent. Price is a little high installed but fits into my budget.

The nearest dealer for any free standing wood burning stove I could find (outside of places like TSC and Lowe's) is about 45 min. from me. They sell Lopi, Vermont, and Dutch West. Out of those 3 the Cape Cod (Lopi) had the biggest viewing window and could heat a decent amount of sq. ft.

The nearest dealer for the Quadrafire is 2 hrs. away. Although, there is a company that says they sell them that is only 1 hr. away but they are not an authorized dealer so I worry about using him. The Explorer ll heats a large area and also has a nice viewing window.

I've never been to Alabama but my understanding is that winters there are quite mild and the Lopi is quite large for emergency and occasional use in mild weather

It would help for us to understand more about the house layout. How large an area is this? Is it an open floorplan or one that is closed off from other areas by doorways?

It really doesn't get all that cold here. I would say the coldest it gets is normally in the 30s.

The house is really open, pretty much no hallways. It does have a basement but I am not worried about heating that or the upstairs. My main concern for emergency use is really only keeping everyone warm for a short period of time. Our temps just don't stay all that cold too long. The main level of the house that it'll need to heat is about 2400 sq. ft.

Many wood stove users start out the same way. O'l yell, I'm just going to use it occasionally. Next thing you know, it's in your house and you find yourself rushing straight home from work to fire it up.

I've lived in Alabama for a couple years as a kid. Been a while but I remember the weather was quite mild and I only seen snow once, didn't even stick to the ground.

It's important to size the stove to your house since you may find yourself wanting to heat with wood more than you think now.

On the other hand, if you can find one you like, many here are very happy with Summers Heat or Englander brand stoves sold at Lowes and Tractor Supply.

I just installed the Explorer II and I am very happy with it so far. I too was deciding between the cape cod and the quadrafire and what pushed me in this direction was that I was able to get my local dealers state fair promotion, which was an additional $700 off. So I was able to get the mahogany porcelain finish stove for a very nice price.

Thanks everyone!

I am going to go with the Quadrafire. I can't wait to get it in. I'll come back and post pictures once it's installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.