Lopi convection fan always on high

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mxpimp18

Dec 15, 2015
Seattle
Hello,

So I had the side of my Lopi heritage bay pellet stove off trying to track down a leak. I know I should have turned the power off but I touched ceramic snap disk wires together and popped the fuse. Plastic coating on the wires crumbled off, it's fixed now. Replaced the fuse but the convection fan is always on high and the knob doesn't work. I thought replacing the ceramic disk would fix it, but I did not not. Any ideas?

Thanks, Jason

You possibly damaged the control board. I don't know anything about you particular stove but a guy last year did something similar with his stove plugged in and it fried his board. Hopefully someone will chime in that knows more than me and guide you better.

Hello,

So I had the side of my Lopi heritage bay pellet stove off trying to track down a leak. I know I should have turned the power off but I touched ceramic snap disk wires together and popped the fuse. Plastic coating on the wires crumbled off, it's fixed now. Replaced the fuse but the convection fan is always on high and the knob doesn't work. I thought replacing the ceramic disk would fix it, but I did not not. Any ideas?

Thanks, Jason

Did a similar thing last year with my lopi pioneer bay insert. The insulation burnt off(evidently this was a common problem the tech told me about) the wires going to the convection fan. I was cleaning out the the T in the back, and I didn't unplug the stove when doing this. I've done this many times before. Well sure enough this time I bumped the wires, the bare wires both touched got a nice spark and the fuse blew. Replaced the fuse, powered the stove back up and the convection fan wouldn't kick on when it heated up. The fan was still function as it was still functional if you bypassed the board. So I fried something on the board before the fuse popped. Replaced the board and everything was fine.

It is possible you killed the motor on the fan and that may be your problem. I think your motor is an AC motor, so if you apply 120V, it should spin at full speed. the board limits the voltage to the motor to change the speed. I also had a motor on the fan go out, so that may be the issue as well, but the first thing to do is check the fan to make sure you didn't damage it before you go any further.

I see your fan is always on high so the fan is functional. I guess I should have read more closely lol. If you lower the speed setting on your fan, the voltage to the fan should change. My fan voltage used to go from about 75V(I think) on slow to 120V at the highest setting. If your voltage isn't changing, then the board has an issues somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.