Lopi Door Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bob95065

Burning Hunk
Aug 13, 2013
Felton, CA
I am resurrecting a Lopi Freedom that I got for free on craigslist. It was in very poor shape when I got it and I am almost done with the restoration.

I called the Lopi dealer to price a new piece of glass for the door. Mine is cracked. They are waiting for a call back from the manufacturer for the exact price but they said glass is usually over $200. OUCH!

What is so special about this glass? I imagine it is tempered. Why couldn't I get a local glass shop to make me a piece of glass> I could make a template from the original cracked glass.

Any info or advice is appreciated.

Bob

Ok. That makes sense. I hope the price that comes back isn't too much. I have other parts that were missing I need to replace. It's getting expensive...

There are a couple of reputable online sources for ceramic glass -- their prices are about 1/2 what a dealer charges, sometimes 1/3 and good service. That is what I did, & got good service, but don't remember the suppliers name. It was 1/3 the cost of the rip-off price the dealer/stove manufacturer wanted.

If you remember the place where you got the clear ceramic please post it. I am looking online too and see there are lots of different places.

If you remember the place where you got the clear ceramic please post it. I am looking online too and see there are lots of different places.

www.woodstove-fireplaceglass.com

(Had trouble getting the link to work -- edited)
Good Customer Service -- they sent the wroing gasket (no adhesive on gasket), & sent the correct one postal express @ no charge.

Last edited:
What is so special about this glass?

When I toured the Travis facility, they told us you could throw cold water on the glass when burning and it wouldn't crack.