Lopi evergreen insert vs buck 74 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nvernon91

Apr 28, 2022
Ohio
New member trying to decide on fireplace insert for 1700 sq ft house in Ohio. Bungalow build with large room cathedral ceilings in room the insert would be. After years of narrowing down and ruling out certain ones due to size or wife not liking the looks we’re finally down to lopi evergreen insert that appears to be a newer model and a buck 74. Lopi with installation is about $1800 more but evens out with the tax credit but is it actually better than the 74 that doesn’t get the tax credit? Looking for fireplace insert to enjoy a dozen times a year on could nights but is capable of being a daily burner/supplement heating source of heating cost spike

Is the room wide open to other parts of the house? If it is, and if the fireplace is large enough, have you considered going for a larger stove? Ohio can get pretty cold.

If the room is somewhat isolated from the rest of the house then I would lean toward the Evergreen. It's cleaner, it has a bypass for easier starting, and the credit is applied to the total installation cost.

Does this room have ceiling fans? They will be needed to circulate hot air that will pocket at the ceiling peak. The other thing that will be needed is fully seasoned firewood. Modern stoves need wood that is below 20% moisture content internally.

Is the room wide open to other parts of the house? If it is, and if the fireplace is large enough, have you considered going for a larger stove? Ohio can get pretty cold.

If the room is somewhat isolated from the rest of the house then I would lean toward the Evergreen. It's cleaner, it has a bypass for easier starting, and the credit is applied to the total installation cost.

Does this room have ceiling fans? They will be needed to circulate hot air that will pocket at the ceiling peak. The other thing that will be needed is fully seasoned firewood. Modern stoves need wood that is below 20% moisture content internally.
It’s cathedral ceilings with 2 bedrooms off the balcony and 8 ft open way to dining room and kitchen. Other living room and far bedroom I’m not expecting much heat from the insert, kinda expecting 2/3 of the house to benefit. We looked into buck 91 but my opening is just a hair too small. No ceiling fan but looking to install one. The evergreen and 74 roughly same size firebox but the whole square foot heating capability and btu’s don’t make sense since the lopi claims 70k btu’s and under 2k sq ft heating and the buck 74 says less btu’s but can heat 1500-2500 sq ft…I’ve read company claims on this stuff isn’t an exact science and aren’t exactly accurate without knowing layout/insulation and such

The cathedral ceiling adds extra cubic footage to be heated. Ceiling fans will help a lot. Take a look at inserts from Osburn, Regency, PE, Quadrafire that in the 2.5-3.0 cu ft range to see if one will fit.